fencing question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Debi, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Debi

Debi Active Member

I've got my pastures divided by hog wire (the kind that gets smaller towards the bottom). I'm separating the younger doelings in the adjoining pasture before I put the buck in with the adults. They'll be bred by a different buck in a few months. Can goats breed thru hogwire? If so, any tricks to keep them separated?

Thanks.

Debi
    Kaufman TX

2. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

hey. yes, i've heard of them breeding thru fences, but i've never experienced it. can you run a string of hot wire on the side of the fence where the buck will be? it will keep him off of it and should prevent accidents.

3. Debi

Debi Active Member

I've got one hot wire one foot off of the ground. I was thinking about two more strands 1 and 2 feet higher than the first one. Should I put one on the does side so the little hussies don't back up to the fence?

Debi
    Kaufman TX

4. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

"Been there, done that".....don't have the T-Shirt though, as the saying goes. Where there is a will....there is a way.
    I think the best fence for goats is as J.D. Belinger stated once in Countryside Mag. about prison compounds for sale, the only thing they would be good for is to keep goats in. I agree! Yes, hot wire and cattle panels or hog panels works best combined with hot wire! I've had them jump over, under, test the electric pulses, etc. But then mine are not very cooperative when it comes to fencing.

Bernice

5. Edz

Edz Member

I must be spoiled with my 7 goats... I have two wires, one about 6-10 inches off the ground, the other at about 2 feet....both "sometimes" are hot, depending on grounding out etc.... that goes way back into the woods.. they all respect that little bit consistently... cept for the one little pygmy we have.. she is impervious to the electric fence and goes back of forth through with at will. She knows she's wrong and when she sees us or hears us coming she pops back into the fenced in area.... she never ventures far past the fence, just far enough to get the good stuff on the other side.....