Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are still in the planning stages and have been reading everything we can. One question I have concerns fencing. I am planning on using some type of field fencing with electric run inside and at the top. This is for keeping the livestock in. What about keeping the varmints out? Would we need to run electric outside as well as inside? Is there another way? Am I missing something? Should we just rely on our dogs to protect the property from unwanted quests?

TIA,
MikeL

·
Retired Coastie
5,077 Posts
Yes, and if there's any threat your dogs can't handle unleash the homesteaders most useful tool, a firearm.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,
Is that yes to double electric or yes to the dogs. And no problem with using a gun. I just can't be everywhere all the time and neither can the dogs.

Thanks,
MikeL

·
Premium Member
15,786 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to run a wire outside near the ground and out from the fence about 18" if you have animals like coyotes that can dig under the fence. If all you have is coon than a wire just over the field fence should keep them out.

·
Retired Coastie
5,077 Posts
Yes, I would rely on your dogs and your individual vigilance. I am a full-time proponent of electric fencing, however hungry animals, domestic or otherwise will ignore and enter. If your leaving your property for a period of time, well bang the grain pans and put your animals in pens or small paddocks while your away.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
If you run a hot wire on the inside 6-8" from the ground, most varmints will touch it, and the wire fence, when going though... and with a solid ground like woven wire, something is going to get the shock of it's life! We have had ferel dogs get lit up like this when they came after calves... and there is no sweeter feeling than knowing you are smarter than the varmint trying to steal from you!

There's also something about a coyote squeezing through field fence, with a good current on the other side, that just makes me smile... kinda like a coon shorting out a power line!

Does this make me a bad person? Maybe... but when you've seen the damage a coon/wild dog/coyote can do to a calf or a flock of poultry, in just one night, it's justified... if only in my mind!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to you all for your replies. I think we will just run electric on the inside and if we have problems, we can add electric along the outside later.

Thanks again,
MikeL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts