Fencing pricing

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by famer_manda, Jun 23, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

About how much would it cost for that electrical tape /rope fencing to fence in about a half acre? I have an area full of beach grass that I would love to be rooted up and replaced with nice fertilizer. There is some regular grass too in there. I really want real grass all over there but its hard with soil as poor as it is. So how much approx would I look at for that? My fil has the electrical box thingy for the electrical charge. Idont konw the word. He used to have cows and he had his fence charged. So I wouldn't have to pay for that. I would just need the posts and the wiring

2. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Measure the distance X 2 or 3 rows plus extra for verticals, mistakes, and good measure, and call the feed store or check at kencove.com. It's delightfully inexpensive! You need T posts for each corner and step-ins for every 20' or so in between, and insulators for the T's.

3. famer_manda

What would you suggest. Make it a big square or several sections?

4. famer_manda

Btw I would probably make it permanent where I put it. So it doesn't need to be easily moveable. If that makes any difference on what i get . I want it decent priced, works well and will make my life easier rather than harder :p

5. Firefly

Square-ish is better than long and skinny because they like to run around. I put their hut and water barrel in the middle and they go in circles around them, chasing each other (they're a lot like dogs) and the young chickens that hang with them.

I'll defer to someone more knowledgable on what type exactly, but I loved working with the tape (or ribbon I guess is the same thing--kind of looks like grossgrain ribbon) and it works just fine. I got the cheapest kind, 1/2" wide but for perimeter fence I'd use 1 or 1.5" so it's more visible to predators. I cut it with scissors and tied it knots, doesn't get any easier than that! I started with wire, but when I tried to unroll it I realized how hard it would be to put up and took it back. As long as you realize that wherever you put them will be trashed in short order. IMO it is best to set it up so you can easily move them, even if you never do.

6. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

firefly, did you have to train them to the fence first? If not, did they run right through it the first time?

7. Firefly

I started out with poultry netting when they were little. I never trained them by putting food on it or anything because I ddin't know I should. They simply touched it with their noses, it hurt, they squealed and backed off. I never knew they might rush forward! It took a few weeks but eventually they learned that sometimes it didn't hurt anymore. When the piled dirt up and it shorted out, they soon discovered that they could just knock it over and go 'splorin'. Uh-oh. With lots of help and moral support from my friends here I got the 3-strand tape enclosure put up using the same rather weak battery charger. What a difference! Again they hurt their noses and backed up. They tested it numerous times but it always hurt a lot more than the netting. Now they only touch it by accident. Recently I relocated them and was worried they might not dare cross the tape. But 5 minutes after it was lying on the ground, unplugged, they walked right over it and I got them moved by leading them with treats.

8. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Manda

It takes about 600 feet of fencing to fence 1/2 acre. You will have to make decisions about the interior sectional fencing depending on what you will be doing with it. If you're not sure use moveable temporary fencing.for the perimeter of this area, I would advise a permanant type of fencing. SOLID corner posts with 5 or 6 strand 12 or 14 guage high tensil wire (the 14 ga is much easier to work with) and use t-posts with insulators as needed to follow the contour of the land. Plan your gates for access for the future. I use galvanized steel gates so I can jump a [SWITCHED] wire over to them and the gates are hot until I disconnect the switch.

Now, with the perimeter fence complete, keeping your critters contained and land predators out, you can make decisions about how you want to divide up the interior. Frankly, for my money, I'd quarter it and move 2-3 feeder pigs every 6 weeks. At the end of 6 months you have market weight pigs and a tilled half acre (assuming a good quality feed is provided in addition to the grass and forage).