Fencing-posts inside-or out?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ceresone, Jan 20, 2007.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

I know how its supposed to go, your fence goes on the side of the post your animal is on--but i also know, along the road, it looks better if your posts are INSIDE the wire- so how do you do yours? fencing on the animal side? or posts?

2. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I would think it would depend if you want good looks or safty for the animals. Just my 2 cents worth,.

3. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

ditto to Ruby

4. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

It depends on how bad you want to keep your animals in. If it's on the outside, the animals can push through much easier.

5. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

you can say, Well at least they were smart enough to get out in the best looking fences on the place, and they probably didnt get hurt as much doing it either

6. NeHomesteader

NeHomesteader Well-Known Member

If you are using a fence with wood posts ,barb wire and staples,the wire should be on the inside of the fence. Otherwise the cows will push against it and knock the staples out. Dawn

7. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

Wire and boards on the inside of the posts. Harder to push apart.

Kathie

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Wire on the inside, no matter where. But street-side, we put up the half-cut split rail, with field fence on the inside of that, so it still looks good from the road, while safely containing my animals.

Meg

9. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

if you decide to go with the wire outside for looks, put electric on the inside to keep the critters off the fence.

10. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I don't think that many people that drive by will look at a wire fence to see if it looks pretty but you'll meet a lot of people passing by if you fence improperly as they each drop by to tell you that you have stock out. If you do it right the first time, all you have to worry about is maintenance and if you do it wrong, it's a never ending adventure. At one point in time, I ended up with a leased pasture that was fenced wrong and it was a total nightmare. Roadside pastures tend to have ditches with enticing grass and the fence was always in need of tightening, staple replacement and countless phone calls at all times of the day or night. I would get a call, run over to put the offending animal back in and come home to 10 more messages but couldn't be sure if it was the same animal or another so I'd have to run back over to investigate again. If your land is near a road, part of the reason for fencing is protecting those on the road from your livestock and if it's a busy road, I would recomend game fencing or something similar as extra insurance but if that's not possible, I would certainly do it right to avoid a lawsuit.

11. UpstateNY

UpstateNY Active Member

one of the funniest fences I ever saw was a long run of upside down posts and wire on the outside. So.... as far as looks are concerned go inside. It will look good to those who know fences. It will only look bad to those who do not know a good fence when they see one.

12. sheepish

sheepish Well-Known Member Supporter

How could you tell that the posts were upside down?

13. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Posts are tapered.

14. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Wire on Inside of posts no matter what kind of critter is being kept inside~!

15. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

For our high tensile electric perimeter wires we fence outside on the corners and inside on the line posts where ever possible. That gives the strongest fence.

16. hrslvrtrailridr

hrslvrtrailridr Well-Known Member

I always put my fencing on the inside, I want my animals to stay in.
    If your really concerned about looks and put your fence on the outside then I'd make sure you run hotwire on the inside to keep the animals from pushing the fence down.

17. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, actually 35 + plus years ago, when we built the fence, we put wire outside, and nothing ever pushed the fence--except time--. we used "lifetime" treated posts as they called them, when we built. wire is still excellent--red top barb, and it will be a lot easier for me to drive new steel posts outside the wire this time-- AND removing the old posts as i go-- yes, i'll be 70 next summer, female-and i can do it.

18. hrslvrtrailridr

hrslvrtrailridr Well-Known Member

19. Scrounger

Scrounger Well-Known Member

The only time I put my wire on the outside of my posts was down my driveway, the rest the wire goes on the "goat" side.

20. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

Depends on if you are keeping someting in or out.
    We built a pen around the trees, and the wire is outside on 2 sides and inside on 2 sides. It was all about what was in the way......... :shrug: