Fencing out trespassers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Prismseed, Nov 30, 2017.

1. mvick

mvick Well-Known Member

Get a big dog. I suggest a Great Pyrenees. They learn their boundaries and protect them.

2. rickfrosty

rickfrosty RF in Western Mtns.of ME Supporter

N.W. corner of ME by both NH, & Quebec border.
    How close did you plant them ? I want to use my native blackberries and also Buckthorn .

nehimama likes this.

3. rickfrosty

rickfrosty RF in Western Mtns.of ME Supporter

N.W. corner of ME by both NH, & Quebec border.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    arnie likes this.
  4. tiger13

tiger13 Member

If you don't want them there, and you do not want to confront them yourself, just go to the management and voice your concerns and tell them about the problem and that their employees are trespassing and you want it to stop. You are trying to be a good neighbor and do NOT want to HAVE to involve the police in this, but that WILL be the next step should the problem continue. Then wait for results to see if you MUST FOLLOW THROUGH.

Naanii, nehimama, Teej and 3 others like this.
  5. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

you could go varmint hunting (what ever is legally in season at the time) with your German Shepard and shot gun at break times, :)

Mickie3 likes this.
  6. outgunu

outgunu Member

I would make a few bucks out of it. Build them a shelter on the fence line and sell hot dogs, burgers, sodas etc.. That way they can have a snack with their smoke. Probably not a bad bunch of folks, just misunderstood.

7. Mickie3

Mickie3 Well-Known Member

and then some crackhead in need of a fix decides they know where CASH is readily available and then you have a "home invasion" on your hands. No thanks!

nehimama, Teej, jdnich and 3 others like this.
  8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

No Multa Flora rose doesn't have hips like a regular rose. They have berries, which ther birds spread.

:D Al

9. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Not having anything wont keep them from robbing you

nehimama likes this.
  10. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

Not all pot smokers are crackheads. Most are pretty chill, level headed people. Heck, i know more PhD, MBA, and business professional pot smokers than i do the type of people your describing.

I say talk to them and set up a Cheeto & Dorito vending machine along with pop and energy drinks. You'd probably make a buck and meet some decent hardworking people

Twp.Tom likes this.
  11. no really

no really Well-Known Member

Did I read the op wrong or are these people defecating on the property?

Mickie3 likes this.
  12. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

You suggested attracting them there with vending machines as bait.

Mickie3 likes this.
  13. kronk

kronk Member

As another resident of LSD (Lower Slower Delaware) I am all too familiar with the likes of Perdue, et al., and the degradation of our communities that they profit from. Trust me when I tell you that they will accept zero responsibility for anything, and they simply don't give a poop, because they don't have to. They are looked upon as benefactors by the whores we elect, so they are given a pass at every turn. That plus you can't throw a rock around here without hitting one of their serfs who think the industrial chicken business is just great. The folks working at the processing plant are of course mainly "undocumented" workers doing a job that no legal American would ever consider. Such is the real cost of cheap food.

Regarding "active" measures to deter interlopers; dog bites will get ya sued, use of deadly force will take ya broke or land you in the clink, and pretty much any other variation on what the useless local LEO's consider "taking the law into your own hands" will just end up screwing you. Been through a similar nightmare with folks that used to mess with our critters. Here's some stuff that worked for us, but again, reliance upon L.E. or the non-existent ethics of the chicken barons is folly.

First, for any signage to be communicative in most Delaware metro areas they must be bi-lingual. Last I heard Spanish was the first language for 55% of Geargetown's residents for example, so while warnings of video surveillance can be an effective deterent, they need to be made in two languages.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Security-V...j8AAOSwPe1UD43q:sc:USPSFirstClass!19973!US!-1

Once legally posted (check with your town or county prosecutor's office for a precise citing of the law and what is required for your jurisdiction) send a registered letter, return receipt requested, addressed to the H.R. Director at the plant and ask them to extend a first and final warning to their employees that you will be prosecuting trespassers, and that you will resort to civil court to resolve any continuing problems. Leave it lawyerly vague so they can't tell if you're threatening them or their employees.
    If it's Perdue they do have a P.R. liason office that I have had some successes in dealing with on other public quality of life issues, but it takes hard evidence to make them pay attention.

Not being familiar with your property layout it's hard to make a security surveillance system recommendation, but to be of any use in court the images must be high definition (such as those capable of clearly reading a license plate, used at gas stations and toll booths for example). More is not always better, but something with a digital recorder and software that can communicate with a smart phone to give alerts is best. Cloud storage is also good. By using balun connectors and CAT 6 cable you can hardwire cameras and microphones at distances much greater than the 60' that is typically supported by the siamesed coax many of the buyers' club bundled systems come with. Also check with your home owners carrier, some will give you a small credit for installing one.

As for physical barriers, check local ordanances and if allowed go to Tractor Supply and buy a small impulse fence charger, some insulated stand-offs, and a spool of wire. If you have a tree line you might well be able to just run a few wires tree to tree. They're a PITA to maintain (grass growing up and trees falling down), but as long as it's not shorting it'll provide a visible and tangible reminder (you'll also have to include warning signs hung on the wire).

Other than that, long term there's Orange Osage (known as growing too high for a horse to jump, too strong for a bull to get through, and too dense for a pig to escape, so with its pyrocantha-like needles it can stop about anything, plus coppiced it makes an awesome recurve bow and is one of the highest Btu potential firewoods found in North America, so win, win, win.

Pyrocantha is used by the Penna. State Highways folks as a no care median barrier, and it works! Friend had problems with people treating his pond as their own and resorted to that. In a leather suit with attack dog pads I don't think I'd test it.

As an alternative to another in-bred pit bull in the hood (Delaware has more per capita than most big cities), consider an attack goose! Seriously - more people are terrified of geese than dogs, and anyone who's ever been chased by one will appreciate what I'm saying. Eggs, Xmas dinner, AND security all rolled into one. Persoanlly I find the idea of Emu's patrolling the yard even more butt puckering. Just something about the progeny of raptors that stand tall enough to peck my eyes out that keeps me wary.

Also from the animal kingdom we have skunks. Maybe trap a few (they're quite easy to catch) in the Hava-Heart style traps and maybe transfer them to a chicken wire pen in the effected areas. Skunks are diggers that can squeeze through anything larger (so bury the bottom edge of the wire), but chances are their residual odor will chase off any visitors before they see the source.

If you have a source of water nearby maybe try the motion detecting sprinklers aimed to cover their "break area". Don a Tyvek suit and gloves and transplant some poison ivy. Then post a few signs warning of it (just so they know where they got it later if they choose to ignore the warning the first time). You can also drop some eggs in the brush surrounding the area. As they rot and burst the smell (and the unexpected BANG!) doesn't last long, but it can be effective. If your a hunter maybe start dropping deer carcasses at the entry points. Bloated and maggoty road kill stays putrid for a week.

Point is to just make it all less inviting for them without putting you and yours at risk or exposing you to legal trouble. Last but not least you could try the media, but they're terrified to say anything bad about the chicken industry here too, so totally useless. They'd rather stick to their usual mindless fluff.

So good luck and try to have some fun with it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Naanii, nehimama, BridgetMI and 2 others like this.
  14. kronk

kronk Member

Come to think of it, there's a guy down here on the shore named Bill Hamilton who was recently convicted of feeding someone to his hogs. We raise a lot of pigs, and I love to remind nosey folks and uninvited guests that our pigs are natural born omnivores that are always hungry. ;)

stachoviak@msn. likes this.
  15. rule4

rule4 Member

I'd be pretty upset if this was my land.

Post your property, call the processing plant and speak with the foreman and file a complaint with the police department for trespassers asking that they contact the plant on your behalf... that should get the message across and it will be well documented.

This is your land, you paid for it, you pay the taxes on it and its not ok for trespassers to be smoking pot and crapping on your land.

If the problem persists add a trail camera to get a few pictures then give the plant a chance to pay for a quality fence. If they resist pass the pictures to the police department, file a complaint with the town and bring it up to the zoning board and health department.. that should get a fence built.

But that's just me and I become a kind of a hot head with things like this.

Naanii, nehimama, BridgetMI and 2 others like this.
  16. stachoviak@msn.

stachoviak@msn. Well-Known Member

planting a barrier will take at least a year to be effective. are you willing to wait that long ?
    You really do not have to have "no trespassing" signs. they are on your property without permission. that is trespassing.
    I suspect the management knows that the people are going "next door" already.. but it still wouldn't do any harm to let them know that you do not allow smoking on your property.. maybe no smoking signs would be more effective than no trespassing signs.
    I pity anybody sneaking around any of my buildings with or without a flashlight..
    In the first place, my three one hundred pound dogs would have something to do..
    they are confined to my property, but not kenneled or tied.. hidden radio fence..
    I would not go visit the intruders by myself.
    maybe have a police officer walk out there with you ???
    let them put a picnic table and chairs right at the lot line. but let them know that anyone going beyond there will be dealt with..
    .........good luck......

17. Mickie3

Yes, the same ones being referred to as well-educated, well-bred folks. :D

no really and BridgetMI like this.
  18. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Well like the book says everyone has to poop.
    Honest did some one call them such things ?

19. Mickie3

"i know more PhD, MBA, and business professional pot smokers than i do the type of people" <- sure looks to me like they did. :D

BTW, not everyone has to go on the OP's lawn! :)

nehimama and no really like this.