Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went to the feed store and looked at the cattle panels. There are 2 type cattle panels with the 4x6 or utility panels with the smaller maybe 3x3 inch holes. price is 25 or 23 so not too much issue there the utility panels are different gauge wire not quite as strong but the smaller holes I think would be better for all the littles I hopefully have on the way. I have full size nubians does right now buck pen is 6 foot chain link. I just need to get another pen put up for the kidding and mother with babies. I am not too worried about the sctraching along fence as I have the panels I have now reinforced with t posts every 4 ft. and I am working on an idea for part of the playground excercise type additions I will be making to minimize scratching even less. So for the sake of my indecision please tell me which is better smaller openings thinner gauge or larger opening and thicker wire?

·
Banned
2,113 Posts
I get the "combo" panels, which have the smaller holes near the bottom and is the same gauge as the "cattle" panels.

If the "combo" panels aren't available, for the sake of the babies, I would probably get the panels with the smaller holes. And to prevent the bigger goats from rubbing, I would run a single strand hot wire around the inside.

Janis

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I get the "combo" panels, which have the smaller holes near the bottom and is the same gauge as the "cattle" panels.

If the "combo" panels aren't available, for the sake of the babies, I would probably get the panels with the smaller holes. And to prevent the bigger goats from rubbing, I would run a single strand hot wire around the inside.

Janis
What Janis advised is what I would do if I were in your situation. :)

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
For about the price of 4-5 panels, you could get 330 ft of field fencing.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I use the combination panels. The babies love to escape through the larger openings of the regular cattle panels.

I have never had any luck with livestock fencing without having a couple strands of electric to keep them off the fence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts