Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I raise pigs mostly outdoors with temporary electric fencing for most of the year, but I keep them in a barn and a cattle shed in the winter. The buildings are in the middle of three pretty big (100x100 or so) concrete lots that at one time were for raising feeder cattle. I'm looking for fencing ideas on how to divide things up a bit, both for being able to separate groups of pigs and for ease of sorting.

I guess the standard answer would be to jackhammer some holes into the concrete and put in t-posts where I want the fence to be, but that would be a big job (the concrete is minimum 6" thick in most places). I may eventually do that, but I'm looking for some easier alternatives in the meantime. For example: there are serious heavy-duty wooden posts with pipe gates all around the perimeter; would it be at all feasible to stretch hi-tensile wires between a couple of posts 100 feet apart with no support posts in between? Any other ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm a builder by trade and we frequently need to fence off sites on concrete or asphalt. We rotohammer a hole in the pad and slip in a stick of rebar, usually 3/4". You can rent the tool and drill bit at most rental yards and the rebar can be had at your local lumber yard. Another idea would be to then slip a piece of pvc pipe over the rebar which would allow you to attach electric netting directly to the post.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
anchor bottom plate round or sq. with 4 bolt holes to the concrete to hold pipe.
Another way i did it was drill a hole a little bigger than the pipe , use structural epoxy in hole to hold the pipe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts