fencing for sheep vs goats

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by uarelovedbygod, Jul 20, 2005.

1. uarelovedbygod

uarelovedbygod Well-Known Member

Is there any difference in the type of fence need for sheep vs goats? I have a pasture to fence, and I am trying to decide between boer goats or katahdin sheep. One small factor will be the type of fence needed for each. Any suggestions?

--thanks

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

3. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

I think if I were starting out and could pick my fence, I'd go with that Red Brand 4X4 square woven fence. It would be a small enough hole that should prevent most breeds from getting their head stuck in the fence. You might nopt think that much of a concern, but it's hell when you get home from a trip or whatever and find a partially eaten head on one side of the fence to a dead carcass on the other....

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a 4x4 hole allow lambs out, though? Mine seem to be able to squeeze through the tightest spaces, rather like wooly little mice...

5. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I now have Katahdins in the pasture where my Alpine goats used to be. I haven't had to pull anyone's head out the fence. AND <G> there have been no escapes! The goats constantly tried my watergaps and learned to wade the creek. The sheep stay away from the creek and haven't been a problem with watergaps. All in all the sheep have been easier for me than the goats. But the goats were much friendlier and you didn't get greasy petting them!

Kathie

6. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

How about a standard sheep fence with the addition of 1-2 strands electric wire or rope? Would this be practical for you? I found my goats wouldn't bother the electric once they learned what it was. (I never had a problem with the sheep getting out). Of course if the goats are bottle fed babies then all bets are off! Nothing except ridgid fencing seems to work!