Fencing for Pygmy's

Discussion in 'Goats' started by NCGirl, Dec 11, 2006.

1. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

2. effboergoats

effboergoats Well-Known Member

It's 4" by 4" squares so I wouldn't think they could go thru that but with goats you never can tell. :) How much does that stuff cost where you live? Around here in se ohio it is around $220 or so the last time I checked.

3. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

219.86 at my local store. How far apart would you suggest the posts?

4. lyceum

lyceum Well-Known Member

We use the horse panels for our pygmys and Nigerian Dwarfs. The holes are not very big. No babies could get out. Works great for small goats.

Lyceum

5. Woodroe

Woodroe Well-Known Member

I'd go 8' or so apart with the posts. The field wire is half the price of the goat wire and the holes are smaller at the bottom.

6. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your choice. They're wonderful little friends to have around. Great dual purpose breed. We bought ours from Lowe's. It's three foot tall, 50 foot roll for around $35 a roll. The squares are 2x2 so babies can't get their heads through. My pygmies work it over trying to rub and scratch on it and it holds up wonderfully. Because they rub on the fence, my husband says he puts posts every five feet, no more than eight feet though. Everyone has a different opinion on these little animals, but they've been great for us. I milk my does and the milk is delicious. Yes, you get less than the big girls, but it's still good stuff and they can certainly hold their own. I can't imagine not having pygmies on our farm now.

Best of luck to you :)
    Malissa in Texas

7. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

My pygmy babies walked right through the goat fence we used to make their small pen so when we fenced in the entire 3 acres we used the horse fencing which is 2" x 4" and it works great.

8. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I use that fencing. GREAT STUFF. However, when you build a buck pen, make the 'front' of the pen and the fence toward the does out of cattle panels... My mini bucks have almost managed to tear down the fence totally or away from the t-posts. Actually, it might be smart to put a couple cattle panels in the fronot or busiest part of the doe pen, too... Because they itch themselves on it and will bend the wire out, and sometimes if they do that they can wear a hole/trench that, with the bended fence, can shimmy under. Or, solve all problems at once run a couple strands of hotwire.

Make t posts no more than 8' apart. BRACE the corners. BRACE the corners. That's worth saying twice. It would probably be smart to make all corners and gate openings wood posts. We didn't make all our corners wood posts, and I regret it.

9. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

yah that fencing wouldn't stop a baby pygmy. Try getting field fencing. It is normally "no climb" so it is smaller at teh bottom

10. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

11. effboergoats

effboergoats Well-Known Member

No more than 8' on the posts. Make sure you brace your corners and gate posts VERY good. And make sure the fence is pulled nice and tight. I didn't get my fence as tight as I should have on 2 sides. So now I have fence that is warped on one side from my boer buck rubbing and the deer ride it down when they jump it on the other side.

12. waygr00vy

waygr00vy Sunny Daze Farm

Most of my pens are done with posts 8' apart, and I'll tell ya next time I redo them it will be 5 ft apart! Definitely will hold up better (unless you are using hot wire as well, then 8ft should be fine). Definitely stick with the no climb, which is 2" X 4" I think. I used the one with the welded wire because it was cheaper, but again...learning the hard way! Next time I will spend the extra money and get the one with the wrapped wire! My field is done with the 4" x 4" wire which was put up before I had goats, but the babies can fit right through without a problem. Plus, if your goats have horns they can fit their heads through and get stuck!

13. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Field fence doesn't work, at least the stuff I've got. They go right through. and 4"x4" is REALLY small... My mini babies, which are the same size as pygmy babies, can't get through. Of cource, they HAVE learned how to get through the gate, err. Also, with the field fence, you can NEVER have goats with horns, as they will get stuck.

14. dap

dap lilsparrow

I don't know-just today my 2 month old ND wether got himself through a 4" x4" fence. I used the 2"x 4" for their pen and that holds them fine.

15. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am sure I will have many more questions the closer I get....