Fencing for goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ellie5, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Three years ago, we put up a small enclosure for two goats. We used the wood 4" poles and 6' anchor/chain link fencing to keep the goats in, and predators out. The poles are $4.50 each, and the anchor fence is $75.00/roll of 50 feet. We put poles every 5 feet. Kinda expensive. But, so far it's worked wonderful. It looks like alcatraz but I know they are safe.

Well, we've since expanded our goat operation and want to enclose a part of our pasture so it's "predator proof"-if such a monster exists. We do not have an LGD, and don't want to go that route (we don't have a lot of predators in my area, but we did have a wild coyote hanging around at one point, and neighbors dogs try to bother the horses once in a while). The area is about 1 1/2 to 2 acres. The existing fencing is falling apart as it is about 35 years old. Besides, the stock fence would not hold up to the abuse goats can dole out.

We were thinking of putting up the chainlink fence around this area, but it would be expensive. We are just a small hobby farm. One part of the pasture is on the edge of woods, and kinda muddy year round because of a stream. The other side is at the top of a hill, and is very, very rocky.

I was hoping for some feedback on the fencing ya'll are using, and where I might get it. I am looking for fencing to last many, many years, so I want quality that will hold up to goat abuse, preferably not too expensive.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Ellie
    p.s. I've looked on the internet but am not coming up with much-perhaps it's my search words as I don't know what to call the fencing.

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I would use combo panels (cattle panels with the smaller holes on the bottom). They run about a dollar a foot, or a little more since steel prices have been going up. I only have posts at the ends of each 16' panel, and in a pasture that would probably be all you need. My goats are in rather small pens, and I think I will put extra posts in the middle of each panel, too. They are 52" high, so depending on your goats you may or may not need to put extra wire around the top to keep them in. Some dogs can jump over cattle panels, but most won't. An electric wire offset on the outside might help keep dogs away from the fence.

Kathleen

3. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

The fencing we use is field fencing with 6" stays on t-posts every 10 feet. We run barbed wire 2-3 strands on top and one on the bottom. We have LGD's and used a 2 strand hot wire to keep them in. They like to check everything around us out. Fencing these days is expensive for us. You might try freecycle.org. See if there is a group in your area. You might find chain link for free. We just trashed 2 rolls that we weren't using. Good luck.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I use 52" woven wire field fence with t-posts every 8 feet. I run a hot wire on the inside about 4" from the bottom and along the top to keep the goats from even thinking about jumping over or crawling under the fence. I run another hot wire on the outside of the fence 4" from the ground to discourage predators.

You might check Premier for fencing stuff:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/

I usually get my fencing from the feed store. Their prices aren't out of line, and I usually need other supplies anyway.

5. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

We use 6 ft deer and rabbit fencing 165ft for $100 CDN. Untreated 6" wooden posts every 10 ft attached with fence staples at every link. Our pen is huge and no problems ever. we also have used cast iron metal pipe 2 or so inces in diameter pounded real deep,
    corry

6. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the reply's. I just located a tractor supply store near me & am going to go check to see if they carry any of these suggested materials. My preference is not to have to pay shipping costs on top of it all, so I'm hoping they'll carry at least one of these suggestions.

I have been looking for used chain link, but havn't seen any 6 foot high. Barbed wire is illegal in my state so that is not an option, but hotwire around the perimeter may work well.

Thank you again for the suggestions!!

Ellie

7. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

We have 5' tall non-climbing horse wire. It is a heavy 12 1/2 gauge wire with 10 gauge wire top and bottom, that is tied not welded together. Using this wire and treated 4 1/2 inch top posts every 12 foot and you've got a fort. Nothing will go through it.