fencing etc for my new sheep!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by luvrulz, Jun 3, 2005.

1. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

We know nothing about sheep....and I have a Jacob ram I'm bottle feeding now and soon will add 4 ewes to the mix. We're fencing in some land that's never had anything on it, that we know of. It's hilly and overgrown with Lord knows what all.

We put together 4 cow panels to temporarily hold the baby ram in and we keep him down there during the day. Last night I went down to bring him upstairs for the night and there was a tic on him, right by his eye. Now these panels are right under my stairs up to the deck....and I have 7 guineas that run the area right here around the house.....and a tic still found this lamb. What's going to happen when they all get put into the pasture and it's overgrown and running rampant with tics? If the sheep are newly sheared, wouldn't that create a problem? We were going to shear them before we put them in there but maybe we shouldn't....

What would be best for the health of the sheep? We're using woven wire fence and t poles.....

Many thanks for your help!

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

The best place I can send you to is here. ...

http://www.premier1supplies.com/

We use Woven field fence, stretched properly, camel backs every 100', Triple post corners, and hot wire.
    But everyone uses something different. Best thing to do is talk with Premier, even if you do not buy from them.

3. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

It wouldn't hurt to take the next couple of weeks and cut down some of that brush and weeds. From the sounds of it, it's going to be a tough job but well worth it in the end.

You don't have to do all of it, just give them areas that makes it easy for them to get moving in and also help with reducing critters and ticks.

I know our guineas don't go into the very high grassy areas if there are "more refined" areas for them to clean up after.

4. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

We use premier electronet sheep fence. Three days after bringing our first two sheep ever home (father and son Jacob rams) we woke up to see the fence down, one ram lying motionless on the ground, and the other nowhere to be seen. I went down to investigate. I stepped over the fence to the downed ram, still motionless. I grabbed his upper right horn, the one that sticks straight up, and wiggled it to see if rigor mortis had set in hard. He woke up. He stood up, shook, and gave me that "got any sweet grain?" look. I went over to investigate the fence where it was down. Two of the short spiked posts had been pulled out. Just then the second ram (then a six month lamb) trotted around from the far side of their shelter and gave me that same "got any sweet grain?" look. :no:

The moral of the story is that jacobs with horns are rough on electronet fences. We eventually put two lines of intelirope (conductive 3/8' black and white poly rope) a foot inside the fence to keep sheep in, while leaving the electronet up to keep the coyotes out. It worked over the winter, but for next winter, when we'll have ewes too, I want solid fence, probably a stock pannel winter yard.

Dan