Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 2 acres and want to fence about 2/3 of an acre. It is heavily covered in privet, poison ivy, and muscadine. My plan was to fence it, put in goats to clean it up for about 6 months, then remove the goats and raise 2 pigs for about 6 months until they are ready for the table. My question is, what type of fence? Should it be goat fence with smaller openings, or should I go with hog fencing with more wires at the bottom. Electrical is not an option. I will be using 6x6's in the corner that are cross braced and t-post down the line. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I run a temporary electric fence for cows with a battery powered electric fence charger. Worked lot better than I thought it would. Just wanted to throw that out if it helped. In my situation the electic fence allowed me to install a temporary fence that may need to be removed and I didn't want to walk away from a permanent fence on someone else's property. I personally perfer permanent fencing but the electric fence has worked well.

Bellcow

·
Registered
37 Posts
I second that field fence is the way to go will hold up a long time. I would not however buy high tensile field fence, pay the extra $20 a roll and get some Red Brand. I wouldn't touch high tensile field or barbed wire. You see it on skids at auctions around here and you can't hardly give it away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Field Fence, specificaly "Red Brand", got it. Thanks for the replies, project will start in a couple of weeks, I will post some pics, right now have to finish the chicken shack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts