Fence Posts & Rock

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TEXKAT, May 16, 2005.

1. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

We're fixin' to move to our new homestead and it's time to put up a fence. We're starting on the area around the houses/sheds...3 acres. This summer we'll stretch wire for the other 47 acres. Anyhoo, the soil there is black dirt and ROCK (limestone and clay). We've already gone thru one tip for the post hole digger. Any suggestions on an easier way to put up these posts? I'm starting to consider dyamite. ; )

2. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

How deep does the rock go? Up here on the mountain, the rock seems to be mostly on the top 6-12 inches. Below that is all good soft soil. I use the big digging bar to either break or pry out the rocks, then use the post hole digger and bar in combo. Slam the bar in to loosen the dirt and break any rocks, pull out with digger. It's some effort, but cheap in cost.

3. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

our dirt/rock is about like yours ~ first 6-12 inches...will check with neighbors/friends if they have a digging bar

how far down did you put your posts?

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Can't get more rocks than here Steel T Post go in easy,just drive them in.Use Rock to make Corner Post.

big rockpile

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we have soil similar to yours. either use a backhoe or bar method to get posts in .have also used a gas powered jackhammer that worked well to loosen up the rock then scooped out with a post shovel

6. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I live in the Hill Country, and have about three inches of soil if that. The rest is lime and it goes down hundreds of feet with channels of water in it from what I can tell.

My dad rented a gas powered posthole digger and did all of his at once, and said it was well worth it, but it was pricey and took two people to handle it.

Sometimes I dig out a rock and use it for a post hole, lol, but mostly I either do something creative with above ground setting or use pvc/rebar barriers. This wouldn't work for most things, I realize, but it keeps out deer, dogs, rabbits, and the like for the most part.

hollym

7. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Thank you for this post hollym. We live in the East Texas area and have a problem with rock on our place. It seems our place is sitting on a rock shelf which is quite thick. You drill down 4-5 feet to a layer of clay :grump: and then rock which is really thick. To dig our sewer line my dad had to rip the line with a ripper tooth on a dozer. Fencing here is difficult especially if you have a hubby who puts in posts that won't move...forever... :)

ford major my Jim is going to give up and rent a gas jackhammer. He tried doing it with a bar and nearly killed himself. :no: Such a sweet stubborn man. It would take him 10 years at the rate he was going trying to hand dig the post holes. :yeeha:

Thanks for the info here.

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................Building Fence in Rock...(101)...Rent an Air compressor , and a Rotary Hammer Drill . You can also buy the tips up to around 4 inches in diameter . This machine is NOT for the Weak or Timid but it Does work . Then layout the spacing interval for all corners , h-braces , gates , and normal Tposts . Then , After drilling all necessary holes in the rock call a Guy with a "BellTec" digger on the back of his tractor and have him dig the rest of your holes . Everything that involves rock will add significantly to the cost of your fence . fordy.. :)

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

And what a pain in the tusch all this rock is! We have less than 12 inches of top soil and then granite/quartz solid for several hundred feet! Needless to say we are making a large number of jack legs for fencing needs!

10. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

fordy, you've got the right!
    I personally own a Bosch electric rotary hammer drill AND an electric jack hammer (plus the generator to run them) to deal with all the rock I've got. With all the projects I'm continually doing, it's the only way to go.
    (I managed to buy them on eBay for less than what it would cost to rent them for two weeks.)

11. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

I'm installing a 7 wire Hi-T electric fence around the pastures. I used 7-8 inch diameter posts for the corners and gates going down minimum of 30 inches. 30 inches sets them in pretty solid. Brace and latch posts are the 4-5 inch diameter posts down 30 inches. I concrete in the gate posts for exta support. I'll be using felled trees turned into posts every 50 feet to hold the spacing. Road-side fence is 2-board with 2 or 3 lines of Hi-T at the bottom - mostly for looks and the keep the chickens and dogs from wandering out.

My wife used t-posts to put welded wire around the garden. Even with a post driver, she had to keep pulling them out and repositioning them to get around the rocks.

You build some good strong shoulders with that heavy bar and post hole digger.

12. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

13. Joy in Eastern WA

Joy in Eastern WA Well-Known Member

14. MMyers1

MMyers1 Well-Known Member

Texas, Residing in DFW area, working toward North
    We are located in the northern fringe of the Texas Hill Country. I strung a Hi-T fence around the perimeter of our 30 acres. What I did was rented a Skid Steer Loader (Bobcat) with an auger attachement and payed extra for a "Rock Bit". Worked like a champ. I had 28 suitable holes augered out in about 4 hours. Of course, it would have gone faster if I had remembered the throttle! :rolleyes: :haha: :bash:

Good luck, I love my Hi_T fence! I will never use barbed wire again if I can avoid it!