Fence Post Trees, What Do You Call Them?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NWSneaky, May 26, 2005.

1. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Hedge, Osage Orange, Locust??????????????

TIA.

2. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We call them Hedge.They last forever ,but if their seasoned you can't put a Nail in them.

big rockpile

4. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Around these parts, they're called locust trees. Had a grove of them on a place I used to rent.

MaryNY

5. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Bois d Arc, osage orange, horse apple - it's all the same tree. I had a big Bois d Arc cut into slabs for a garden bed about 17 years ago. Its still there and no rot at all. Plus, its a pretty yellow wood. Not that it matters for a fence post.
    Locust is a different tree, but good for post also.

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I believe the word Ozark came from Bodark.

7. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

ROFL! I think I was 30 something years old before I realized a bodark tree was a Bois D Arc tree! LOL!!! I always thought it was spell bodark.
    We dont have those here too much, so we use cedar or sweet gum, but have to keep oil or something on them so they dont rot away too fast.....

8. garrett

garrett Member

Has anyone here used the locust for fence posts? Does it last very long? I have been cutting the hedge for posts, but never really thought about the locust. Those 4-6 inch thorns would be the worst part of trying to cut them.

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

We call it hedge.

Speaking of locusts and their wonderful thorns. Once when I was a kid I was running through the woods in the dark (long story) and I ran headlong into one of these trees. I had no idea a person contained so much blood. Running full speed into a tree is bad enough but I just had to pick a locust. I'm lucky I didn't poke my fool eye out or puncture my jugular. I can still walk down by the creek and pick that tree out. I've also noticed a squirrel can hit one of those trees at a full run and climb it full speed without missing a beat.

10. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

The variety to locust that grows around here doesn't have thorns. It is a tall, skinny tree that doesn't get much bigger around than a fence post might be. The bark is thick and has deep "creases" in it. It is a medium-dark gray color. And it lasts a long time. I have seen it in fences with wire strung between them, but that wood sure looked really old and weathered and had been there a long, long time.

MaryNY

11. leoaloha

leoaloha Well-Known Member

Locust was the post of choice here on the east coast years back
    last a loooong time

12. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

13. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Locust is what we see here. Garrett, we have some of the originals from the old farm out back, and I'm guessing they are at least 50 years old. They look pretty weaterworn, but they are just as sturdy as ever!

14. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Osage or Hedge as we call it 'round here. Farmers and other timber owners sell them here for posts usually late fall and winter at the Saturday barn sale. They bring between 2 to 9 dollars for a 8' line post and 10 to 30 for a corner depending on how straight they are. Hedge was first used as a natural fence just by the nature of it's growth. (crooked and thorny). Used as a post they last longer than a treated post.

15. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

16. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

Cedars here too...or hemlock

Mandy