Fence installation ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chickflick, Aug 7, 2004.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

When installing a fence (t-post, top two rungs of barbed wire and bottom 3/4 ft. welded wire)... Wouldn't you measure the posts at the same height THEN install the wire at same height from top/bottom? My question is how to get fence even on rugged terrain...(to settle an argument w/city boy!:):)

HE says... he is planning on digging to insure fence is level!!!!! :eek: I say.. well that'llbe just greeeeaaatttt..... I'll have one foot of fence at one end and four at the other (in height) :no:

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

chickflick, just have the person to dig the trench a little wider and he will not have to go to the effort to erect the fence. Instead he can fill it with water and have a moat. Sorry for this but could not resist! ;)

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

........................If , you are using 6 foot tposts.......I usually drive them "in" until I have about 52" standing . I would put the "Top" wire around 48 " as a point of reference . With field fence (3 foot ) you won't beable to have any "humps" in your 10 foot interval between tposts . Otherwise the wire won't look right . You'll have to take a loader bucket on a tractor and knock those humps down . Then , after you've stretched your field fence and have it secured and tied off I would stretch the "middle Bwire" and tie it off such that it is situated Halfway between the field fence on bottom and the Top bwire on top . This way it will always "LOOK" right . ....fordy..... :eek: :)

4. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I drive the posts to be the same height above ground and then the wire is stretched and follows the countour of the ground. I prefer 8 foot T-posts and make higher fences - deters deer.

BTW a great product for making corners with T posts is called Wedge-loc. I get mine at Tractor supply, but you can get them onthe internet. If buying at Tractor supply, buy the loose parts they charge A LOT EXTRA for them in a bag.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Built Fence around the Hills and Hollers around here for years.Stretch the Wire out,tie weight to it to hold it down it the Low Spots,if its not low enough,cut out Wire or Panels to fit in the open area.

big rockpile

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

7. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Put in the corners and pull a string or rope depending on the length. Adjust the string until you like the way it is working and then fence accordingly. I add wire or fabric to the bottom through washes or low spots.

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well this is not realy a Hill it is from Ridge to Ridge across a Holler,but still fun to Fence.

[​IMG]

big rockpile