Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built a good amount of fencing for a goat paddock. I sunk 6" wood posts down 3 feet and poured 40lbs of concrete and backfilled with heavy clay for each post. But after stretching the fence every corner post shifted enough that the fence is now loose. When I stretched it I had it tight but my come along could have pulled it even tighter. it didn't seem tight enough to pull a terminal post 2". I got a lot more fence to install so I need to learn what I did wrong so I don't repeat it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. What I did was instead of corner posts I kinda just made them like terminal posts because I was joining to existing fencing that I didn't want to put tension on so I put the terminal 8 feet from the existing fence and then covered that gap with cattle panel. And here I thought I was overbuilding it by doing that.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
So if i'm understanding right you have end posts and not corner posts? The end posts will still pull in the direction your fencing runs, so you gotta brace them but not as heavily as you would the corner posts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright. Thanks everyone. I had no idea what I was doing and had only ever done residential fences so I assumed that if a terminal post was cemented in good it would make up for not having a brace. Now I know.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
We want the wires tight, and when the wires heat and cool in the elements thry really pull tight. I’ve seen a braced corner pull the corner post up and out of the ground, as things pull so hard, it yanks the whole brace setup over.

without a triangular corner bracing setup, and there are different ways to do that, you need pretty loose wires. A post in dirt or in a concrete collar just doesn’t stand a chance.

paul

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
From what I am seeing in the picture of the OP, the first post from the coroner should be the post holding the tension. Not the corner post. Your tension wire ran at a angle is transferring the load from the top of the stretching post to the base of the corner post.

The horizontal back post is doing little actual good. If you had a brace post ran from the top of the corner post to the bottom of the next post then that would transfer some strain off the between the corner post and the next post.

The wire ran at a angle and a brace post ran diagonal would work really well tougher.

I / I \ I Would be the corner post and brace post. I \ I / I would be the tension wire and corner post.

Hope it makes sense.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I just built a good amount of fencing for a goat paddock. I sunk 6" wood posts down 3 feet and poured 40lbs of concrete and backfilled with heavy clay for each post. But after stretching the fence every corner post shifted enough that the fence is now loose. When I stretched it I had it tight but my come along could have pulled it even tighter. it didn't seem tight enough to pull a terminal post 2". I got a lot more fence to install so I need to learn what I did wrong so I don't repeat it.
You don't have any pictures up of your established corners that are not getting the job done.

Here is a diagram of how to lay in a corner and why you do it this way in order to keep your wire tension from pulling your corner posts out of the ground.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You don't have any pictures up of your established corners that are not getting the job done.

Here is a diagram of how to lay in a corner and why you do it this way in order to keep your wire tension from pulling your corner posts out of the ground.

Thank you for that diagram. They are actually getting the job done well enough. The fence wound up having a small amount of slack in it but not enough that my goats can move it when rubbing. I was more mad about the fence not coming out perfect after I had broken my back since I finally found goats for sale but didnt have a fence up yet and had 3 days to fence in a quarter acre of heavy woods with hand tools.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
so I need to learn what I did wrong so I don't repeat it.
You didn't put in real corners braces. Any time you draw something tight, wire, rope, string. And you wish to keep it tight, it must be attached to something that is strong enough to hold it there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts