Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone,
My husband and I just purchased a new parcel of land, and we're trying to determine feasibility of rotational pasturing our pigs along the fenceline, where vegetation is thick. We're moving our pigs from our current farm, where they had a simple pasture with straightforward fencing, but they didn't get very interesting pasture (and frankly, decimated what they did have because there was nowhere to rotate them to). We'd love to connect with any other hog farms who rotate their pigs through pastures that have difficult fencing considerations.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,905 Posts
I have 150-acres of dense woodlot. I have found that two strands of electric fence work wonderful with pigs. One strand at about one foot high, and the second strand at about two feet high. When first training pigs to electric fence you may need to hang a foot of bright color survey tape on the top wire, centered about mid-way between two fence posts.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,267 Posts
I have a neighbor who pastures pigs for land regeneration. Electric is essential. Train them to it.

·
Registered
12,084 Posts
Our pigs are in heavy timber as well. I rotate them across sections from 1 -3 acres. I use only yellow poly wire, 2 strands about 6" and 1" off the ground and fiberglass step in posts. I use a Parmak electric charger.
I have pens set aside for farrowing and litters and boars, etc using livestock panels and t posts.
I have never had to train a pig, they seem to always learn on their own.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ho
HI everyone,
My husband and I just purchased a new parcel of land, and we're trying to determine feasibility of rotational pasturing our pigs along the fenceline, where vegetation is thick. We're moving our pigs from our current farm, where they had a simple pasture with straightforward fencing, but they didn't get very interesting pasture (and frankly, decimated what they did have because there was nowhere to rotate them to). We'd love to connect with any other hog farms who rotate their pigs through pastures that have difficult fencing considerations.
how many ac.? How many pigs? Breed of pigs? Size and age of pigs? What do you feed your pigs and how much? Do you have Dogs? Any wild animals like wolf , etc. also Hawks , Owl, etc. I do hva Dogs. I hve good field fence with good post and support for the fence and gates. I do rotate often. I tried elec. fence in my area didn't work to well any storm comes and limbs etc. short out fence. No short cuts in good fencing for all animals. Just a few things to consider for raising Hogs, etc.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ho

How many ac.? How many pigs? Breed of pigs? Size and age of pigs? What do you feed your pigs and how much? Do you have Dogs? Any wild animals like Wolf , etc. also Hawks , Owl, etc. I do hva Dogs. I hve good field fence with good post and support for the fence and gates. I do rotate often. I tried elec. fence in my area didn't work to many storm comes and limbs etc. short out fence. No short cuts in good fencing for all animals. Just a few things to consider for raising Hogs, etc.
Draw up a plan for rotation of animals. So they have acess to food , water and shellder. I do combine field rotation for my Sows and also indoor barnes for some ;of my stock and my breeding Boars etc. Raising Swine cost a lot along with other farm animals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts