Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the best fence chargers were for small (20) acreage? I have been buying the Zabera brand from Rural King and seem to have to get a new one each year. I don't know if it is the brand or simply my installation that causes this, but wondered what other people were experiencing with their chargers. I usually use a 25 mile low impedence 1 joule charger. Maybe this is just one of those anual expenses that you just have to accept.
Thanks,
Wig

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Good Question . We have bought the Zereba and had pretty good luck, especially compared to others. Our Zereba was hit by lightning and ruined, but beforehand was tehe best we had used.
We now have a Gallagher from Orchelens, Ok I guess, but doesnt pack the punch I would like it to, and to get a bigger is pretty pricey, at least for me.
We have had to buy a new one every year too, whatever happened to the older ones that seemed to last forever?

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
I had a Zabera, never again. I took back several then switched to a Parmak with no regrets.

50 Mile Range
SUPER ENERGIZER 4
Model SE 4
Low Impedance
110-120 Volt A.C. Operation

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
topside, where do you get Parmak? Like I said we had the Zareba and it was ok..but was roasted before we had it very long..lol, We called the company as they said you could buy replacement parts and you could, for 189.00 :0 If I was going to pay that much I would just buy another. And to say it was the best really isn't saying much.
We have not found a fencer that is really what we want. I realize that the whole installation is critical, but I would also like one to last for a while.We usually need to buy another immediatly because we have two Jersey steers that can tell the split second a fence isn't working and they head for the hills , grrr.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
That is a decent charger topside1 recommended. I use one as a backup. I literally have a barrel full of the Zareba and International brand that have died. ParMak's top of the line charger is guaranteed for 2 years against all failures. It has been my choice since coming onto the the market. ParMak chargers are made in the USA and they are good people to do business with as they give good support.

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
Sabrina, I bought mine through Jeffers livestock supply. Your local Tennessee Co-op also carries them...My ParMak has been tested repeatedly by all new bottle calves, they usually only test it twice, even calves are quick learners....Topside

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I will second the parmak. They can be sent back and repaired if you can find a local dealer. I have a solar Zareba that was gave to me that I am going to put out and see how it works. I have a 110 volt one that I have sent in under warranty (lighting strike) waiting to see how that goes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all that have responded. I took Topside's advice and ordered a Par-Mac. I ordered the Mark 7. If I read it right, the description indicated a dual fuse system to help protect against lightning strike. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but maybe it'll last longer. Thanks again!

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
Good choice Wigg. My system has been hit several times by lightning, just replace the fuse and plug back in...Game on

1 - 10 of 10 Posts