Fence Charger brands?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sidepasser, Dec 28, 2003.

1. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

Ok, maybe I am search challenged, but I can't find the thread that I think was somewhere here about the brands of fence chargers people have found to be long lived and/or useful.

I am sort of back in the boarding business - reluctantly - but nevertheless, I have a TB coming soon that requires a private paddock and stall. So to protect my board fencing and to protect this horse from my soon to be love struck mule, I want to put hi-tensile up around the two acre paddock the TB will be contained in.

Well the plan has grown to include separating the mule from the riding arena and containing her in her 2 acre paddock. I have let her have the whole area, but the lady bringing the TB wants to ride in the arena, so I have to put up fence there, so now the project has grown. We are using Hi-Tensile wire so need a charger that can handle that.

What's your experience with electric chargers by brand? Are the fuseless chargers as good as the ones with fuses? I have used the old International brand with the chopper fuse but can't locate one of those easily.

Thanks again for your advice,
    Sidepasser

2. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

I can't contribute anything to the answer for you question, as I've never had need of a fence charger. I made an observation a few years ago that I laugh about everytime the term "fence charger" comes up.

One of the better known fence charger manufacturers introduced a solar powered charger a few years ago. Part of their advertising hype was the statement to the effect that "the unit would continue operating for several
    (they had a number, but I can't remember) weeks in "total darkness".

My observation is that should we endure a period of weeks in total darkness,
    who the hell cares if the livestock gets out?

Bob

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Some chargers are listed here
    http://fence-electric.com/ShopItemIG.php?item=Electric+Fence+Charger
    The Parmak SE3 seems to give good value for the money. I switched to the Parmak after the other high output units priced themselves out of my market. It seems to be a well made unit and the output is sufficient for my needs. You will be satisfied with a Parmak. No affiliation here.

4. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thanks for the information, fence chargers sure have gotten expensive over the years since I have bought a large one. My last international bit the dust after many years of use and lots of fuse changes.

I am used to the fuse kind of chargers so that when they get hit by lightning, you simply change out the fuses. Even with a lightning arrester, they will still get hit so how do you "fix" the fuseless kind?

Thanks and if there is several weeks of total darkness, I'm not going to worry about the horse getting out either!

Sidepasser