Fence charger advice?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by frogdog, Nov 12, 2004.

1. frogdog

frogdog Guest

I have been offered a 2 year old Red Snap'r LI30 (low impedance, 30 mile) fence charger for $40, less than half what it would cost new (~$95). The reason it is being sold is the person is moving halfway across the country and doesn't want to bring it along. It's stated specs are 1.8 joules output, and 3 joules of stored energy. According to some test data I found on a Canadian website, the measured guard voltage was 8960V on a clean 3.3mi run of fence, and 3900V on a weedy run. Over a 10 mile run, clean was 5870V, weedy was 3290V. For a 3.3mi run of fence, the shock intensity was listed as being 2.2A @ 0.4J dry, 39A @ 2.5J wet. Over a 10 mile fence run, it was 1.5A @ 0.2J dry, 32.9A @ 2.1J wet.

Does this seem like an adequate charger for sheep & goats for 5 acres? The perimeter is already fenced with 5' 2"x4" woven wire. I want to divide the property into 3 or 4 permanent paddocs with HT wire(6 or 7 wire), then have the animals in one or two smaller areas with temporary electric fencing. I may also run a wire along the top and bottom of the perimeter, to deter predators. I know it's not a Gallagher, but for $40 it would be stupid to pass up if it isn't a pile of junk.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

One like that will make you look for the guy with the 2x4 who hit you if you touch it.

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

But it and donate it to my farm I pretty much a non profit organziation. The only way to find out is to plug it in and hold someones hand and grab on.

mikell

4. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

you might get in touch withPREMIER FENCING www.premier1supplies.com 18002826631 they are always great help when it come to question like that

5. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

*laugh* Yea.. and they also sell a little fence tester, which is WAY preferable to the "grab and dance" fence testing method!

But how well this works will depend on how well you ground it. No electric system works well unless it is grounded to a fair-thee-well.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

That charger will be satisfactory for your acreage. You will need to acclimate the animals to being confined with an electric fence if they have not been held in by one previously.

7. frogdog

frogdog Guest

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll buy it!

8. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

For predator control, I use a Parmak SE-3.
    Specs;

110-20 Volt A.C.
    Super Energizer 3 (SE-3)
    Low Impedance

Voltage
    Open Circuit 11,000
    500 ohms 8,750
    100 ohms 6,300
    50 ohms 4,300

Joules
    High (wet) 9.11
    Low (dry) 2.58

For large pastures and for high tensile fences. Ideal for all livestock including sheep & predator control. Will shock through large amounts of weeds and brush. Excellent for deer fences.
    Over 50 mile range

Bob