female dog marking?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by mare, Dec 23, 2006.

1. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

hi--this about my sons 1&1/2 yr old beagle Molly. he said the last two times he washed his blankets he would come in to find her laying on his bed next to a spot she had peed on. i can think of a few reasons why but dont know how far fetched they are. 1--she is marking her territory 2--she doesnt like the smell of his laundry soap and is trying to cover it up (?) 3--she is mad at him 4--she is just weird. she is in her heat cycle and i dont know if that is the reason??? she is really doing good on going to the bathroom outside now. anybody ever have this happen before? :shrug:

2. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it possible she's just licking the bed? Our dog used to lick a lot when going to sleep, and left quite a wet spot. Just a thought!

3. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

I knew someone who had a dog with a peeing problem in heat...but not any other time.

They knew it was starting because she would go in the middle of the living room.

4. mare

he said it goes thru three blankets and his sheet :shrug:

5. mare

interesting--hopefully that is it. when he gets her fixed that should help. i should tell him to wash his blankets after she is thru w/her cycle. thanks you guys

6. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Maybe she's a little incontinent during heat? Dogs won't usually lay next to urine if they know they just went there. Urinary incontinence is not uncommon in female dogs, although it's much more common in spayed females. Maybe the hormonal changes during heat have weaken her sphincter a bit?

7. melina

melina Well-Known Member

Females mark their beds sometimes. It's a possessive thing. Obnoxious, but nothing to worry about.

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep her off the beds. She is not only marking a nesting spot, she is announcing her ownership of your son. Give her a bed next to his or under his. If she is crate trained, make the crate nice and nestable, but keep the door open. It won't make her feel bad to be demoted off the beds, as long as she continues to get attention.

9. mare

i was thinking along the same lines--that she was marking my son as hers, he laughed and agreed when i showed him your post. he loves her but gets pretty upset when she does this stuff. he is making progress with training her---slow but sure. M............