FEMA to the rescue

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by uncle Will in In., Jan 15, 2007.

1. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The ice storm in Okalahoma was of such magnatude tha Bush has ordered Fema to the rescue.
    I'm pleased to see that the Okies problems will be eliveated post haste.

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

In 1996 floods destroyed my town (and my home). Thanks to FEMA, it was rebuilt. They did alright by us.

3. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

Do you suppose they have learned from their mistakes in Mississippi and Louisiana? For the sake of those in Oklahoma I certainly hope so.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I really don't think you can blame all of FEMA for what happened in NOLA. There were a whole lot of cooks spoiling that broth (or jambalaya, as the case may be).

Pony!

5. Muskrat

Muskrat Well-Known Member

Actually, if you bother to read the corrections and updates you will see that the Katrina emergency response was both faster and more successful than was ever hinted at in the mainstream media, and it was faster than with past hurricanes in Florida, particularly. Hint: FEMA and the National Guard did not stand by ignoring the calls of distress from that nursing home, child rapes and mass murder did not happen at the Superdome, and the helicopter rescue was by any measure extremely successful.

Yes, they did learn from their mistakes, as they learn after each response. Notice how much smoother Rita response when than Katrina--or was it the people involved?

And I'm certain those living in Oklahoma are standing outside their homes waving the helicopters away saying, "We don't want your help if you can't do better than you did in New Orleans!"

6. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

When our town almost burned down, FEMA was a godsend to many. The trailers are beautiful, and they were brand new. Most of the homes have been rebuilt, and they will be pulling them out about July, I guess, as they got to live in them for 18 months while they rebuilt their homes.

7. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I do hope they do it better than they did last time.

Deleted the rest because I can't figure out how to explain it without making it look like I was looking for a handout. That's not what happened. I never ask anyone for anything, didn't expect anything from anyone, and didn't take anything from anyone.

8. Jeff54321

Jeff54321 Well-Known Member

Why are they punishing people by sending in FEMA when the residents have just been through one disaster.

9. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

Spinner... why would FEMA be responsible for the 1000 lbs of meat you lost. That would be your own insurance company.

God.. I can't believe you expect the government to pay for you freezer meat. Geez....

10. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Thats just the gimme gimme attitude that some thing the Government OWES them something, when in fact they don't.

11. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with you on that, Ken. Not FEMA's responsibility nor their fault. Spinner, your "important" preps should include a generator for your freezer and your water well maybe.

12. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

I don't think the government is responsible for replacing people's home from fire, nor the loss of food due to power lines being down. That is what insurance is for. After Katrina it seemed that the government people were busy running around pointing fingers at each other instead of getting down to business.

13. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

They do not give them the trailers to keep. They provide them for a place to live until they can rebuild. When the fire hit our area, 116 homes burned. This is a very little town, and there were NO places left for anyone to even rent. We took in a family ourselves for a couple months until they applied for a FEMA trailer. They sign and are only allowed to keep the trailer for 18 months, and they have to have their homes rebuilt. Thanks to so many volunteers, most homes have been rebuilt, and to the many generous people who sent help our way.

14. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

We are getting to be an "intitlement" society...

Here in Maine a few years ago the Democratic governor got Federal funds for snow removal by declaring the state a disaster zone because we had snow. Imagine that " snow in Maine"...

Why bother becoming self prepared when we can rely on the government to bale us out.

15. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

My question exactly! I didn't expect them to do anything. I took care of myself throughout the 2 weeks. They volunteered this stuff a few weeks AFTER the storm.

The point I was making is that if they honestly wanted to help people, they should do it in a timely manner, not show up after everything is over and people are back to normal making lots of big offers that they have no intention of following thru on. In my opinion they made a big show of nothing.

goatlady: I do have a generator now, and stored gas to run it. I didn't back then. Living thru that 2 weeks taught me a lot about what I needed to do to be ready for the next time. I don't depend on the freezer near as much as I used to. I've now learned to can most of my food. Back then everything went into the freezer. It's amazing how much a person can learn in 2 weeks! :hobbyhors