Fels Naptha Soap?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by exegeses, Jun 22, 2005.

1. exegeses

exegeses Well-Known Member

What's so great about it? I went to the web site where it's sold and they mention that it's one of the few 'pure' soaps that are still made today. That's all fine and dandy, but what makes it so good for laundry? Could you substitute your own homemade 'pure' soap in the laundry soap recipes I've found on other threads? Why or why not? Someone somewhere mentioned it's smell. Does that mean it has some kind of fragrance added?

2. exegeses

exegeses Well-Known Member

Just got off the phone with Dial Corp. (makers of Fels Naptha). Found out that only animal fats are used in the soap (no veg. based oils) and there is fragrance added, one of them being pine. That may explain why some people don't like the smell. My dh doesn't care much for cleaners with pine scent. Incidently, when potty training my boys, a little PineSol added to the wash water seemed to be the only thing that would get the urine smell out. Same for cat spray.

So, theoretically, would a homemade soap made with exclusivly animal fats and maybe some pine essential oil work as well as the Fels Naptha in the homemade laundry soap recipe?

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

IN the old days...when I was a kid...Fels Naptha containg napthalene (what moth balls are made of). It no longer contains that ingredient. So the answer to your question is a theoretical "yes."

4. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

it has a light lemony smell... I like it... it gets my clothes really clean & there isn't a huge "laundry" smell afterward. I don't have the time to make my own fels type soap... so I really like it to use when I make my laundry soap...

5. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

My mom used this ... I didn't know they still made it!

ann

6. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

It is an absolute wonder at drying poison ivy rash. They sell it in the laundry section at my supermarket. I don't use it for laundry, but we always keep a bar on hand for poison ivy.