Fellows, I need help: Kawasaki Bayou

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Oxankle, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

*@#$% Thief tried to steal my old ATV. Pushed it out into the pasture and tried to start it. The starter solenoid was out, so he could not start it. He then decided to cut out and steal the battery (he already had my new Husqvarna chain saw) but after about another 100 yards decided it was too heavy and tossed it into the brush where I found it a month later.

I put the ATV back in the barn and at some point apparently took off the cut cables. Now my son in law wants us to take all our ATV's, including the old one, on a trail ride so I am working on it.

Problem is that I do not now remember where the negative cable attaches. Does it attach to the frame somewhere, or to the engine block?

Anyone know? It is a 1986 kawasaki Bayou 300. Been a real workhorse for me and I bought a new one just like it. Like the new one because it has a back-up pull starter and compression release. Never had to use it, but they are a great feature.
    Ox

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You cannot go wrong by connecting the negative lead to the ground at or near the starter motor. Connected to the frame on some vehicles lets current pass through a bearing and that will eventually cause bearing failure.

3. Oxankle

Thanks, Agman:
    Unless I get more specific instruction that's what I will do. I went to an ATV salvage yard and bought a cable long enough to go to the engine. Fellow told me that if my solenoid was irretrievable he had those too. The dealer wanted over $50 for the two cables, I paid $10 for cables, advice and heat shrink.
    Ox

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I don't know if this helps much, but on our Bayou (which is a different year and engine) the negative cable is attached to one of the long bolts that holds the starter motor in place.

5. Oxankle

Thanks, Cabin:

I'll check that as it fits Agman's idea about the bearings. However, I have changed that starter once and I do not recall a cable there. I looked at my new one and found a cable connection to a bolt at the rear of the engine. That may be where this one goes.

I've repaired the minor wires and installed the positive cable, but it is so hot out there that I can only work early in the AM, or for a few minutes at a time. That being the case I ran turtle traps this AM (can do that from the AC truck) and went after some Muscovy ducklings a fellow gave me, also an A/C truck job.

I'm thankful that I do not have to make a living in this heat. Neighbor told me last night that they are preparing to bale their soybeans, and that some have dried up and burned so that they cannot even salvage hay from them. I saw a field of their corn; they harvested a few rows of it and abandoned the rest. These are people with a thousand acres planted.
    Ox

6. Oxankle

Got out at daybreak this AM, hooked the negative cable to a bolt in the engine case and put in the battery, turned on the switch. Engine ready light glowed, touched the starter and it fired up.

Apparently when I pulled the cables and disconnected the solenoid I established a good connection between the switch wires and solenoid. Neither switch nor solenoid was bad and I'm good to go. Put the plastic back on and the old lady will look good.
    Ox