Felling kinda guilty`

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Columbia,SC., Dec 31, 2005.

1. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

tonight I went out and looked over my coop. There I saw a cat, kinda snooping around. Well I eased back in the house and got the ruger.22 and a spotlight. The cat came back and looked at me, NITE NITE kitty. After it was all said ad done I feel kinda bad that it may have been a neighbor cat and not ferrall.
    We have cats but they stay indoors always. We do have nice neighbors, but they are not close friends, but nice. I pray that this was not fluffy! so no loose lips to sink ships!
    We did loose Slippers lastweek (cochin rooster) so I am pretty protective nowdays!
    Was I wrong? Yes I should have trapped the cat and put up flyers I KNOW. But I do not like tresspassers around my girls!
    This is kinda of a rant and a confeison all rolled into one!
    Columbia,SC.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Donna-6

Donna-6 Well-Known Member

Yes and no!! We have lost quite a bit of critters because of our neighbors dogs. They don,t feed them much,they have 9 big ones. They run deer and kill for food.We live out in the country. There for when we see a cat,we think they have been sit-out. The dogs if look like they may harm our ,we lay them out too! Lost too many. Not taking any chances.

4. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

A few of years ago, there was a cat hanging around our chicken coop. She was nothing but skin and bones. No way she could have caught a chicken in her condition- nor could most cats I have seen catch and kill a full sized bird. She was hanging around so she could eat the scraps that the birds did not eat. And their turds. That is how close to starving to death she was.

We took pity on the poor thing - started feeding her - had her immunized at a litter of kittens aborted at the local humane society - and we adopted her.

In the years since she has been the best little cat we could have wanted and has become an integral part of the family. Either she thinks she is a chicken or the chickens think she is one of them.

I have never regretted adopting her.

5. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

No, we don't shoot cats here unless it's sick. They keep the rodent population down. And, if we do get a stray cat now and then, it just might be a neighbors pet OR a drop off. In that case, it's lost, scared and hungry.

If anyone is thinking that we're "cat people" with dozens of them, no...the populaton stays about the same.

6. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

That cat more likely was interested in the mice attracted to the chicken feed. Cats in /near a barn/coop are good things in my opinion. Keep the rodent pop. down.

7. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Stray dogs...goodnight...stray cats,generally no. Even the neighbors dogs only get one warning having seen what they can do to a flock of sheep. Have yet to ever find one getting into the chickens. Possums or raccoons,yes; even dogs but the cats are looking for mice/rats. We have two neutered cats that patrol our farm and do a great job keeping the rodent population in control. They get a scant amt. of cat food daily to keep them around. DEE

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We don't shoot cats either, nor do we shoot stray dogs (in fact, we've adopted a few of them). The dogs we have take care of strays and they don't let the neighbor's dog cross the fence after he killed some of my chickens and guineas.

My solution after Cujo got my fowl was to build a very secure chicken coop. Nothing can get in...cats, dogs, hawks, owls, raccoons, etc. Haven't lost a chicken since. A secure coop just seems more humane to me.

9. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

You have made my heart very sad. :(

10. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Don't feel too bad. Even if it was a mistake, just learn from it.

I can't imagine a cat taking down a full-sized hen. Maybe a bantam. My hens are pretty rugged. They kill mice themselves, so we I don't have a rodent problem. They didn't even come into my house this year, as they usually do when the temps drop.

11. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

I suppose you jumped the gun.
    That cat was taking care of the mice that were eating your chicken food. If I found out my neighbor did that (without first warning them, or even losing something to it) I'd make them regret it. Don't let them find out who shot their kitty.

12. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Why? Was it YOUR cat?
    You don't like the way the problem was solved?
    Then maybe you and the rest of the bleeding heart keyboard commandoes need to get off your butts and go "save the kitty" IN PERSON. I constantly see this sort of thread, but NOT ONCE have I ever seen one of you bleeding heart "don't shoot the kitty" or "don't shoot the doggy" people volunteer your time and money to "go save the kitty". :flame:
    So PUT UP OR SHUT UP!

13. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

I don't know your cituation, but I would have shot it too. I live out in the boondocks. I have a couple of neighbors near by, but lots of animals get dropped off in places like this. Running cats and dogs (particularly cats) decimate small game populations. I have cats and dogs and they have collars and tags. If they didn't, I wouldn't expect to have them long. If I see an animal without a collar I kill it. no apologies.
    Last year we kept seeing a black cat around. One day we kept hearing meyowing down by the road. My wife said she was going to go shoot that cat. I know she hates to kill anything as much as I do, so I said I would do it. I took the .22 down there and saw a little grey kitten crying by the mail box. I shot at it and my shot went a bit high over its head. I drew another bead but didn't have the heart for a second shot. I came walking back up to the house, and my wife said, "did you get it?" I said no and she asked what I had in my hands. I said, " a cat....it's name is smokie." should have named it "Lucky :eek:
    anywho, I'm not mean. I just think folks ought to kill their own unwanted animals. It would save me heart ache and ammo.

14. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

After you've lost a couple of birds, it's natural to get REALLY protective of your stock. I totally understand just not tolerating stray predators around (especially the pet kind). I normally leave the cats be, but stray dogs? Nope - not welcome here. Not with chickens, ducks, goats, and sheep - all of them potentially on the dog's radar.

15. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I don't own a weapon, so I certainly couldn't shoot them anyway, but I have noticed at my new place, a few really big full-grown cats crossing my property especially towards evening, thus the reason when my neighbors gave me my little kitten, I decided to keep her as an indoor cat. My college daughter used to freak and ask why I didn't go chase them away. I said they aren't bothering anything. My thought...They wouldn't be here if they didn't know there wasn't something to hunt. I also think of it as free field mice patrol. And sue me, but I seldom have leftovers, but when I do, I have a designated spot where I feed them. One young female was actually tame enough that she would come and sit with me outside last fall at night. I just assume they cross over from the neighbors farms. I know last time I lived inthe country, when mine ran out of stuff to eat, I find them wandering down the gravel road on my way home from town. Some of my outdoor cats previously have wanted handouts...The lazy type lay on the porch-type. Others are just born hunters, and they will travel an incredible distance to do their thing, even if there if food offered. Deb

16. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

A domestic cat will most certainly kill a chicken. We saw it happen to one of my MIL's chickens as we watched from the kitchen window. Hubby shot the cat, and we only found out later that it was the across the farm road neighbor's cat. This person is also hubby's cousin. She didn't speak to us for a year.

Having watched the cat actually take down and kill the chicken eliminated any guilt.

17. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If a cat can get to your hens, so can a raccoon, fox, or dog. If your chickens are secure, you don't have to worry about cats.

It's possible that the cat was looking for mice, but it may have been attracted to your own cats. We once had a neighbor's male cat hang around our yard to be with our cats, even though they were spayed and didn't pay much attention to him. Some cats just like company.

You can create a lot of animosity between yourself and neighbors by killing their pets. Next time you see a "stray" cat or dog, check with the neighbors first. They need to be given the opportunity to keep their animals home.

18. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I like cats. They are very cool to watch. The look and act like tiny lions. It is cool to watch them stalk and kill mice. I may have done the same thing, but I might not have. I probaly woud have waited a day or two to see what teh cat was up to. I have no problem shooting cats or dogs if they are a danger to my livestock, but cats that leave lvestock alone are a pretty good thing to have around

19. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

There is a time and place for killing predators. I haven't had to but people I know have and I respect that fully. What you did is shoot the neighbours cat for tresspassing. You'll have to live with that. And if the neighbour asks you'll have to lie. The truth was a bad call and wouldn't be understood by the owner.

20. brendanolen_CA

brendanolen_CA Active Member

I have no problem taking out certain cats, but use the pellet gun for most. If they attack my animals, they are gone. If you feel bad, I am sorry you do. Perhaps you can find another way to deal with it that sits better with you.