Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a pitiful thin kitten on the side of the road and decided it could live in my barn, it is in a dog crate in my milk/feed room while it gets used to the place. I now have to drag my milker into the room. literally. feet planted. she is terrified of it. I thought she just might need to sniff it so I held it out to her and she tried to bite it. it is going on day three and she still thinks this tiny kitten is a ferocious creature just waiting to sink its teeth into her jugular. yesterday, I left her on the milk stand to finish her grain, while I watered everyone. I heard the terrible "I'm dying", goat screams, (I'm sure you all know the sound) followed by the sound of 125 lbs of goat throwing herself against the wall. I, of course, petrifed, run back to the barn to find a tiny kitten sitting on the ground curiously looking up at a panic stricken goat. eyes bulging looking back at the kitten, screaming and throwing all her weight up against the wall trying to get away. what a moron.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
LOL is your goat a Nubian???

When I got my Nubian girl she wasn't used to dogs at all, and though she acclimated fine to my place and behaved great from the get-go on the milk stand, if there is a dog within 100 yards she tries to crawl inside my shirt. My great pyr "puppy", huge and totally goofy at 7 months old, would no more take her down like an antelope than she would fly. I wonder how she'd deal with my cat?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'd watch her with the kitten...not only could she hurt herself trying to get away, she could try to kill the kitten. I have one goat who attacks any cat within range.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
ROFL!!!
I know I shouldnt laugh, but I sure did! hehe! Such a funny picture in my head now, and I could just see my nubian doing that very thing!!
I dont have cats around here, so I should watch out for strays, might send the girls over the edge! lol!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Haha mine did the same thing when they first saw my kitten. It learned quick to stay out of the path between doorway and milkstand REALLY fast, though. :)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had such a magical picture in my head of letting the kitten drink the strip milk while I milked. such fantasy (I'm somewhat prone to it). what was I thinking! she's nubian/lamancha/idiot cross. I want to let the kitten go during the day but I'm afraid she will kill it. she screams if her baby is near it, so I'm pretty sure she would. I will continue to let it out while I am there to supervise and hopefully she will get over it. its half the size of her head for god's sake! I hope this is temporary I really wanted to give the poor kitty a safe place to stay, and in the house is not an option. well...I'm out to milk. we will see what today brings.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
LOL is your goat a Nubian???
That was exactly my first thought! :dance:

My Nubian X was horrified when we first got the barn kittens last year. She did get over it.

Now, every day, twice a day, she has to stop and snort, and skitter on the way into the milking parlour. I made a pen at the end of the barn and her two kids, plus Emily (the broken-legged bottle baby) are in it. That's the only thing different! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
177 Posts
LOL reminds me of our wether, had him for about a year by himself, lots of other stock around just no goats. Got our 2nd goat and you would have thought we'd been invaded by aliens or something. Took about a week or 2 before I could finally put the 2 of them in a pen together without Harvey trying to fit through the hog panels. Seems like some goats are just terrified of new things, regardless of how harmless they really are :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
LOL DQ..I love how you tell stories..I had SUCH a picture of this happening!! On the other hand..I'm sorry your goat is scared of the new member of the family.

My old girls aren't scared of cats...BUT...they are down right vicious to them. They aren't so bad when goats and cats are outside..but wow..let one get in the shed and all heck breaks lose. That Helen lays ears back..and roars after those cats with teeth just a clickin'. AND..she has taken hold of them. Usually the same cat is not bitten over once by her or Weezie..they learn pretty quick. They make me so darned mad sometimes.

We never had a cat on the place..that you would see very close up. Until I got my first goat and started milking. Oh boy..be careful what you wish for..lol. MANY cats showed up..and tamed right down. They line up and wait. So I do believe..if you can blindfold your goat..lol..while milking..your kitty and dream will come true. :)

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
How smart is your goat!!!!! She knows that pitifull little thing, being a kitten will be pooping toxoplasmosis all over her dirt, her hay and her feed, causing abortions this winter in her herd! Get that kitten out of your barn, any self respecting Nubian would just step on it anyway :) Vicki

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
My nigerians used to go after cats.....didn't like 'em at all.

I have a huge neutered male cat from a dairy that was torn down for developement. HE is very motherly, lol. First time we found him at the dairy (before it was torn down)he was curled around a litter of someone's kittens. He is fascinated with babies. Here, he thinks it is his job to oversee labor and delivery - to the point that one of my FF thought HE was a third kid, and got a mouthful of cat hair for her troubles of 'licking him clean'. A sort of 'feline livestock guardian'.

The goats all tolerate him. Evidently they are good at judging character - and contrary to popular polls/beliefs (lol) - yup, I've got nubians.

Niki

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
Toxoplasmosis is not in all cats poop. I would never get rid of nor allow my goats to step on my two outdoor cats. They have keep my garage free of nasty field mice, eat gross gophers, and other pests. My goats better respect them since they were here first. My cats do not pee or poo anywhere near the goats or their food.

DQ I have to say that is too funny. You have given me quite a visual.
Can you get the goat to smell the kitten or will she freak out? Hopefully she will get over it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well she actually walked into the feed room of her volition twice yesterday. the kitten had wandered off though the second time and wasn't in there. I had left her on the stand again to go look for it actually, and by the time I got around to the other side of the fence, I new it must have come back because she went back to screaming bloody murder. it was 15 feet away though, at least, with two fences between them. I know that the risk of toxoplasmosis from cats for pregnant women is way over stated, but of course you need to be prudent. lots of hype surrounding diseases sometimes. just like everybody freaks out over west nile, when most of us have had it, never knew it and become immune. I do think it is wise to not have a whole pride of cats prowling the property though. I'm pruning down the chicken population for the same reason. I'm tired of finding poop in places I don't want to find poop.

The cat has probably been over-emphasized as a carrier of Toxoplasma; most human infections result from eating tissue stages of Toxoplasma in undercooked meat.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_toxoplasmosis.html

besides, I can't get rid of the kitty now, not after this pic.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Oh my gosh is that picture cute. Adorable.

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
That is a totally cute picture! She has such a wonderfully happy look on her face. That is a photo to enlarge and keep on your wall.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
most human infections

That is only because most humans don't have goats. Kittens do spread toxo to your goats via their poop, abortion storms every year on this forum and others come from toxo from cats that poop in the barn dirt and on the hay. At least fecal her, this way you will also know if she needs to be wormed. Vicki

·
Registered
35 Posts
Vicky, is toxo something that shows on a fecal exam? I thought toxo was a protozoa (i.e. somethign small etc), I have a cat, that stays away from the barn, but is around, and my husband caught toxo years ago, before the goats. I am not worming the goats, we are in a dry climate (i.e. worms are less threat) - do I need to worm?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Mygoat, someone probably has already said this but I missed it if they did so here goes....
Honey, that is NOT your goat. It is a silkie chicken I believe. (Eyes rolling) LOL!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Vicki, I didn't know that but....
I have had two female barn cats before I had goats and not one abortion except the FF that got broadsided by the herd queen for overstepping her bounds.
Guess I have been lucky. Hope my luck holds because these cats stay. We have had them too many years and they are getting old. They need us.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts