Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! I have a rescue cat that delivered a still born kitten 24 hours after 7 kittens born. She appeared to normal ie eating well, feeding kittens, no fever or discharge etc. She came to me when the 8th kitten was born. She was obviously distressed as we tried everything possible to resuscitate the kitten. She got resettled in with the 7 kittens but she feels a little warm to me. Her nose is a little dry. I rumaged thru my unused vet meds and found clindamycin 150 mg /ml. I have liquid Tylenol. I am worried about a post partum infection. She is very protective of her kittens that are in my closet. She knows I took the still born. Should I give her the antibiotic and tylenol for safety. Both medications will pass to the kittens in the milk. The emergency veterinarians are 1 1/2 hours away. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Call the vet and ask if it's okay to give them to her. Antibiotics and Tylenol are safe for human babies, prolly for kittens too, but you need to see what dosage to give because it's usually smaller to be on the safe side when the mom is nursing.
I think she definitely needs Tylenol and some type of antibiotic, and maybe electrolytes too.
Poor mama kitty! Hope she will be ok.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the advice. I haven't heard from my vet. It's been a few hours. There are 2 large clinics farther away than I am comfortable with. I'll start calling to see if I can get assistance. I have to commit to a gather and transport plan. She is an incredible mother and has been very patient with me.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
I hope you were able to get her in somewhere, she very likely needs some antibiotics, the chances of infection are pretty high. Fortunately that should be treatable and good nursing will help her a lot as she is being treated. Be sure she gets enough liquids - if she likes canned cat food this would be a good time to give her that. Otherwise chicken broth for the liquid, taste and salt (will make her thirsty) to help her hydrate herself. If she needs a little spoiling as to what she will eat, do so, when she is nursing a full litter she will get hungry and be glad to eat everything. After having her kittens she can use extra nutrition and a very comfy, quite place to be. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
NEVER GIVE TYLENOL/ACETAMINOPHEN/PARACETAMOL TO A CAT!

Yes, I'm shouting. They do not have an enzyme needed to metabolize it, and it will kill her. If you did give her any, get her to an emergency vet ASAP.

Now, to read the rest of the thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts