Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With interest rates climbing, it looks like another year in AZ before making the move to quiet rural living:(

We’ve been a bit Overwhelmed lately with everything that goes into buying a large property.

I thought it would be just like buying a normal house, something I’ve done four times, but it seems like there’s so many things that come with the properties that have.

Wells, septic tanks, land rights, mineral rights, having a survey or come out, what you can and can’t have on your land....

I want chickens and bees and had high hopes that perhaps a neighbor would let us hunt on their land but the more and more I read on the forums, it seems that’s not necessarily a community but more about taking care of your own.

I certainly don’t want goats and cattle and things of that nature to be responsible for but I’m not sure what I would have to offer neighbors to trade for those things like milk, cheese, butter.

Just feeling overwhelmed and saddened that our dream is on hold.

·
Super Moderator
16,455 Posts
I certainly don’t want goats and cattle and things of that nature to be responsible for but I’m not sure what I would have to offer neighbors to trade for those things like milk, cheese, butter.

Just feeling overwhelmed and saddened that our dream is on hold.
You can be a friend. And I have never been more serious in my life.

Do you know someone who had not been able to enjoy an evening out with his wife....the ENTIRE evening.... the person with a milk cow. Do you know who is outside in the rain when they have a temp of 103? The person who lives alone who has livestock that needs to be fed.

Be a friend.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Patience. You can have all you want in life but my experience is that you cannot have it all at once or even on your schedule. Homesteading and self sufficiency really requires that you learn to roll with the punches and be quick on your feet at changing direction when necessary.

Keep looking, you will find the right place. And once you are there you can build the community or find the hidden one that already exists. However a lot of work for that kind of life is solitary work and looking after your own because there is a lot to look after.

The delay just gives you more time to learn things at home in whatever situation your are in. We learned to garden and bake and can in an apartment using the balcony for containers and an electric stove with only one working burner and a hostile oven.

This will also give you time to research and firm up your plans for what you want to have and do and a timeline to introduce each project. We volunteered on farms and in orchards and vineyards to get experience. And if you have not place of your own to garden perhaps your area has a communal garden or plots to rent.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I expect interest rates to raise for the next nine to twelve or maybe even 18 years years. I expect them to peak out at around 22% to 37%. But they could go much-much-much-much higher.

Yes, I am serious. High interest rates and high inflation is the easiest environment to get free land.

It is how I made my first million.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Location location location...…..if I can`t do what I want, when I want and how I want, the land gets a X in it...…...There are plenty of places with virtually no rules left.

You have to think outside the traditional box of X for this and X for that...…

Plenty of options exist to overcome about any adversity...….

I will tell you what I have found thru many adverse conditions/situations...…..all the little things that seem insurmountable are not, its usually self made into a huge deal...…..I have seen people fret over a shade of color on something turning it into a life or death situation, when in reality, it is meaningless and self created.

You have to be open to the alternatives and not set such a ridged path and be willing to adapt......and overcome.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Boy, there's lots of land with reasonable prices on top of the rim in AZ. How about the White Mountains? That sits on the largest aquifer in Az and New Mexico. Have you tried there? It's 4 season country at around 6000 ft and above.

Reactions: Team Honey Badger

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boy, there's lots of land with reasonable prices on top of the rim in AZ. How about the White Mountains? That sits on the largest aquifer in Az and New Mexico. Have you tried there? It's 4 season country at around 6000 ft and above.
I will look into this. The East coast is where we would like to be.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Some people seem to think that you have to have or do certain things to be "homesteading" properly. If you want chickens and bees but don't want goats and cows, then have chickens and bees. People love and will barter lots of stuff for local honey. Hard to make money on eggs unless you are in the right market with people who will pay the right money for non-industrial eggs, but trading eggs for good will might help get the hunting privilege you are hoping for. We plan on putting in beehives the year after we establish a wildflower garden, and we will have some chickens and possibly rabbits. I might buy a lamb to raise for slaughter, but have no desire for goats or a cow and the work they bring. We do want to put in a stocked pond for the bluegill and catfish.

It took us several years to get to the point where we could buy land. In the meantime, our dream shifted as we learned more, aged, and had a couple health issues. Our dream now isn't what it was 10 years ago, or 5 years ago, or even 2 years ago. If you have a rigid set of expectations, you might miss out on other opportunities that might work out even better.

As for hunting privileges, I wouldn't grant them to someone that I just met and didn't know. Letting someone on your land to hunt is taking a risk, especially if you don't know them, because you don't know if they will treat the land with the same care that you do. You most likely will have to establish a relationship and build goodwill with your neighbor in order to get access for hunting. I have found that I have developed a deep emotional attachment to our land and would be extremely hesitant to let someone on it to do anything but pay me a visit.

Best of luck in your land purchase. And while you are looking, save money, pay down debt, and learn all you can. The more money you have to put down on land and building your homestead, the better. The more you know, the better decision you will make.

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
1,958 Posts
You'll get there HB. I think everyone of us has fought through times like you are in. It may not be what you originally imagined...but one day when you look out at your property... whether it be 1 acre or 1000... you'll find peace and happiness.

All the blessings in your quest, my friend...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I expect interest rates to raise for the next nine to twelve or maybe even 18 years years. I expect them to peak out at around 22% to 37%. But they could go much-much-much-much higher.

Yes, I am serious. High interest rates and high inflation is the easiest environment to get free land.

It is how I made my first million.
Tell me more...

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I have 6 acres wooded. 5 neighbors in our " community". We don't gather. We don't share. Cant say we know each other. 2 of use have been here 35 years. One 10 and 2 that bought the land cut the trees and are not full times. If your looking for the communing feel of a place seek them out. In my area of wv it's take care of yourself. Hard to find help with projects. Very very hard to find a ride if the car breaks. You have to decide what you want. Solitude or city neighbourhood cook outs and bonding.

·
Premium Member
25,070 Posts
YEAH, The E Coast. Do you think that all the current hurricanes are all their is? IF your going to help a neighbor milk his cows, do you know how to milk a cow? Check out the eastern 1/2 of Okla.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Decent folks dont mean they want you hanging around or droppin for coffee. Farm and ranch people are busy people. Not sure how many you will find willing to teach you. That takes time. And how do you even meet folks with that many acres apart? Before you buy and build start your homestead? Guess you could rent in a town you might like. join a church. Facebook the town start going to town hall meetings, school functions.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Decent folks dont mean they want you hanging around or droppin for coffee. Farm and ranch people are busy people. Not sure how many you will find willing to teach you. That takes time. And how do you even meet folks with that many acres apart? Before you buy and build start your homestead? Guess you could rent in a town you might like. join a church. Facebook the town start going to town hall meetings, school functions.
The way I did it was get a job at the local home Depot. Its a small one, and I know all the best people. Even got my DH a side gig with a local contractor.

·
Registered
756 Posts
By decent I mean folks that don't try to mess you over and will deal honestly with you. Some might be willing to teach you in exchange for free labor, but you are exactly right that they are busy folks and it takes a lot of time and energy to teach somebody. And if you are new to an area, especially just starting out having never farmed or had livestock before, they will most likely take a "wait and see" attitude. I'm sure they have seen plenty of starry eyed city slickers come and go.

Getting involved in the local community and being patient and easy to get along with are good ways to get established.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
It does take time to get where you want to be. The East Coast is definitely more expensive than other places in the country. Wells and septics are nothing to be scared of. Just make sure they are compliant with the rules and regs of the county you want to live in. Land rights and mineral rights will also be dependent upon where you’re living. Ask lots of questions..lots and lots. As for community and bartering, that takes time to find like minded folks. And for folks to get to know you and trust you. And finally, it takes time to build a homestead. Take it a step at a time. It can take years to get where you want to be and then, I never think you are totally done. It’s an on-going process

1 - 20 of 32 Posts