Feeling sorry for goat, cold and wet

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cheryl in SD, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

My goat just lost the last of her last years winter coat in this last 100+ weather. That was 2 weeks ago. Her new hair is growing, but today it is COLD and WET. She has a shelther, but it is airy, and I just found her shivering! I warmed her up and moved her to a more sheltered place, but she looks SO pathetic! I sure hope her winter coat comes in soon! We are supposed to be getting an early cold winter!

Cheryl
    p.s. my dh says I am dotty about my goats, but they just get to you, kwim?

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I sure do hope that everything will be o.k. Living in Florida I don't have to worry about the cold too much, but when our babies are born in the winter we have to make sure they have lots of hay for insulation, and that their mama stays in with them for added body heat, we let the mama and babies out during the day when it's not very cold. Sure hope that everything will be o.k, you'll be in my prayers, Bye.

3. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

See...this is why I don't live where is smows. :) You can take an adult sweatshirt and cut off sleeves where it would be elbows and slit the neck and use that as a blanket. You can also put human sweaters on them. Last year I used a dog sweater on one of my little ones. Good luck. (And yes, they do get to you... :monkey: )

4. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

We are having a hotter and more humid than usual summer also. The goats came with a great coat this spring because of the unusually cold spring we had. They have lost that now of course but I hope that they get their nice warm coats before winter this year.

And Yes, I do know how they get to you. I only have 2 and they stole my heart almost immediatley. I really enjoy them.