Feeling overwhelmed...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Imagoofygoober, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Imagoofygoober

Imagoofygoober Well-Known Member

I have to admit, as exciting as it all sounds, and as much as we really want to build our own place, the thought of everything that has to be done in order to achieve this goal is looming so large.

How do you get past feeling overwhelmed at the thought of everything that has to be done to achieve something like this?

2. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I can only imagine the headaches you are having !! I would think that you have a temporary home to live in while you builid ?? An old mobile home ?? Then I suppose you need to make a list of what you are doing first..and what is most important. I have been reading about Jackie Clay and her family in the Backwoods Home magazines for years now. She has moved several times and it is interesting to see how they do the most important things..for their family first and manage to pull it together. If you don't read that magazine go on line and you will find it...www.backhomemagazine.com Her husband just died after moving to Minn. with her 14 year old son and her parents who are in their 80's while they were just beginning to build another homestead. Take a day and a time...and things will come along just find and hopefully a year from now you can say to yourself..."boy..what was I so worried about"...remember too...Don't worry about tomorrow...God is already there !! Good Luck !1

3. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Hiya Goob~
    You basically just take it one step at a time...We bought our property 16 yrs ago, moved a mobile home onto it 4 yrs ago and just moved up here a year ago. Not that I'm reccomending anyone take as long as we did but it worked for us. Were able to stay where we were renting, save some $, and move out here debt free and with enough $ to do the propane, well, power, etc. without stressing. Once you can actually start making things happen rather than just the planning stage it gets exciting and fun. We were like a couple of kids running around trying all the lights when we got our power after living here without for three months- . :) Now a year later we're nicely established with a nice big veggie garden and a bunch of chickens and couldn't be happier.
    I wish you luck in your quest!
    Steph

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We brainstormed with pen and paper in hand and made lists, set goal and looked at what our priorities needed to be. After that it was one step at a time. We made a few mistakes, but all in all we worked our plan and in a few years found ourselves living on our land. I have done it a couple of times now, started with bare ground. Once we lived in a tent with three children for six months and the second time we lived in a camper. Work hard, play hard and take time to smell the roses. I look at life as a journey and try to enjoy the process while keeping my goals and priorities in mind.

5. Mawna

Mawna Well-Known Member

Hi goob. wellll here goes the total unadulterated truth.

If I had sat and thought about what would be/has been in store for us. I would NEVER have even gone to the trouble to check on the land we found. I don't know I guess I was living in another galaxy completely. Somewhere with a silly Romantic notion of what life would be like.

With All Truth everybit of romantic notion was totally wiped out of my silly gourd with the first winter. We purchased a 1984 Executive Motor Home to live in while we did what-ever it was we were planning to do. YEP we didn't even plan that far ahead. Just managed to pay for a piece of raw land and motor home and moved out here. And I ain't no young silly chick either, I should have had better brains in this head of mine. 20/20 hindsight??

We have now lived in this RV for 5 plus years now. Have fought like cats and dogs. Screaming ranting and raving like loons at each other. Money went...god only knows...where it goes. Just sucked up phoof. Nails, tools, this and that....And most of the fighting was from completely shot nerves.

But now we have a pretty good size very unique barn. Chickens and other barn yard fowl Goats Dogs Cats cats cats. We have a "house" in the process. And be careful IF YOU BUILD IN YOUR HEAD and not on paper. It GROWS and GROWS in reality. At least ours has. We are to the part now of obtaining windows. We have HAD to scavage alot of stuff. But somehow that has just made it more fun to see what we could come up with for free. You'd be amazed!!

OUR PLAN NOW IS...(yep we are planning these days) will be to "raw finish" the bottom story and move in by the end of Autumn. And get the *&&^% out of this RV!!! And when I do if I never see another RV in my life that will be too soon, indeed.

It has been CrAzY and very very hard times. But we OWN it all. Owe no man. And that is THE PLAN in the long run, isn't it.

Sooooo sometimes thinking to hard will only hender a wild wonderful DREAM.
    have fun and remember...Life is like a bucket of dirt, BLOOM where you are!!
    mawna

6. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I think the #1 hardest thing about starting a homestead is the feeling of ..>wanting to get more done<.... than you... >can get done< .... the balance of time between money to do the next project feels like such a waste, I often feel like we should be further along.

Then, I get to visit with someone and I get a new perspective, It has only been 3 years, as of this week. We could survive here as is, if we had too. Freezing to death in winter is less likely now, heat stroke is still an issue in summer ( 100º down stairs in the house feels cool compaired to everywhere else) I have the basic soil nutrients purchased to fix most of our soil problems. These are major steps forward.

I also feel a need for acceptance by our near by neighbors, we live very differnent from the way they do and I have a 12 year old son that I would like to live here.
    adding children to a primitive homestead is a risk at any stage.

So, I trade one kind of stress for another. For each short coming of available time, skill or money, I have a plan in mind to fix it, I often walk to our gate and walk slowly back to the house and give myself a tour......I talk with God about what I would like to see, and how to go about it, I let myself be really, truthfully, thankfull for each and every step forward, how ever small.

Once you have your basic life needs met, and you can stay on the land. You do what you can do each day. After awhile is gets easier and you can add new things. Hardships are normal, set backs are normal, slow going is normal, be happy, stay safe,
    value the good times, put the hard times in the memory scrap book and move on.

7. Imagoofygoober

Imagoofygoober Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for all the encouragement. It means a lot. :)

We are right now trying to figure out whether or not we want to try to buy some land with an existing home or whether we want to go the route of buying the land and going about building slowly. We thought about purchasing a yurt to put on the property. Some of those yurts are really nice inside. I wonder how large a solar panel I would need for say, a 30' yurt?

We could live in the yurt while building the house, we thought. We do have children and I know that I would not do well living in a tent with kids. NOT for me. I have to have some measure of comfort!

Our aim is to be somewhere in the middle-ground re: homesteading, I guess. We intend to have power (solar, hopefully) and would eventually like to grow as much food as we can, and would like to have some chickens and some livestock, perhaps. My dh is in construction, so he would most likely stick to that as a job while we build.

But we wonder--would this be cheaper or would it just be better to find something that already has a livable home? Opinions?

8. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Our little cabin from www.durabuilt.com is being delivered on Thursday. I wish I could have gotten something with even a small rundown house on it. At least the septic, well, driveway and clearing would have been done. But it hasn't been too bad. You just have to live one day a time. When I think about it too much, I get so overwhelmed and feel like a failure. Then I step back and look at houw much we've gotten done and I feel better. It's just me and my 2 teen daughters. If you have a spouse or SO, you're already ahead of the game. You can do it. ;)

9. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Make plans and be prepared to change them (As in be flexible). Be opportunistic. You will generally have more projects/wants than you ahve time for. Some are must do some are do when the opportunity arises.

Also, set time aside to relax.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

10. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

Like many others said--one day at a time.

If you can afford land and a home, that makes everything all the more easier. Even a fixer-upper has a way to get the water in and out, which is usually the most difficult aspect of meeting any codes there might be in the area you're looking to live in. And anything that isn't kosher is either grandfathered, or the seller has to take care of it, or knock off the price to let you take care of it.

If you're building, and hiring it done, the person you hire takes care of all the orderliness and permits, which, in my opinion, is worth the price. I bought a manufactured home and love every aspect of it. The company that sells the home has all the necessary palms greased all along the way, so it went in smooth as silk. What's so neat about it is that I can even fix the little stuff that goes wrong with it, and I'm in no way handy (e.g. the plumbing is essentially plastic tubing--just need a knife and that two-step glue stuff and--wallah!)

If you're building yourself, you're in in for the long haul. I have no first hand experience with this myself, but listening to others who did it this way, I know that I would not have the temperment for it. I'm kind of a by-the-book type of personality, so that may be why.

Good luck with it all. Don't get overwhelmed. Do what you can when you can do it, after all, that's all you can do. :)

11. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

"ovwerwhelming at times"?? huh. tell me about it. :rolleyes:

Working full time, I wonder now where the time I got to start a 'garden stead' on a one acre property. It produced and got the experience to move on from there to a larger tract, though garden size wasn't any more. Just you can do what you can with your time and resources.....one day at a time.
    What you get done, you get done....and what you can't, there is little sense in worrying about it. 'overwhelming' is more a feeling than what you can do about it.
    Going through years of it (homesteading/farmsteading or whatever you want to call it) though the midst of 'overworking' full time jobs at body numbing shift schedules and inhuman 'restructuing', eventual marriage breakup, and culminating in dealing with catastrophic dwelling fire! Overwhelming??? I guess. .......Life goes on.
    Reminds me of a saying "Life is hard, but the alternative is worse". :soap:

12. Wisconsin Lisa

Wisconsin Lisa Active Member

It does feel overwhelming, doesn't it? I need to be moved in by winter with a mobile home, driveway, well, septic, fencing and shelter for 18 horses, chickens, etc. I keep repeating to myself How do you eat a bear? One bite at a time.

13. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

look at properties in both catagories and compare. 10 acres and house=????, 10 acres,build house=???? and figure in time you waite for the construction, headaches of building,(I am a builder in ohio, much stress involved in building for owner and contractor) etc. unless you build a very simple /small house you will most likely find an existing house and land cheaper and get possesion right away. having a house built is a 4-6 month proccess. hubby building it on the side, you can just bet on major stress and a very lengthly process. good luck and dream large start out small