Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're frugal by nature and upbringing, don't indulge ourselves too much, don't care about fashion, use coupons, buy bread at the outlet. You know the drill. But even though I'm sort of getting used to the economy being a big big big mess (and then some), everything seems too pricey. I saw a fleece vest at VOA in my DH's size, XXL tall, you know not that many of those turn up there. It did have 3 or 4 little spots with the fuzz gone. Didn't want to part with $4.99 for it. Ditto grated cheese at Aldi's. $3.98 for that?? Anybody else having this kind of reaction? There are some things I need to buy...I think...but it takes a weird sort of willpower to do so. Sue

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think this is what's hitting a lot of people right now - though maybe on different scales. I think the entire country is trying to work out the difference between wants and needs.

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts
lol.....I think I'm the worlds' biggest cheapskate! I've always seemed to be "poor" and I blame it on living on a single income (I'm divorced for a long long time). It takes a lot to part me with my money for things other then bills, but every once in a while I splurge and buy myself something......You have to! I love yard sales and flea markets where I can bargain....lol, and I also put off buying things because I feel I can get it cheaper elsewhere.
I've always tried not to charge things, and feel good about not having any debt hanging over my head. I live on a farm and really do live a "simple life", growing a lot of my own food, and I consider the internet as my intertainment. And I just love this site! I've found a lot of good advice here, and everyone seems to be so friendly.
Try to treat yourself once in a while because you deserve it, and you're lucky you do have the choice to buy or not to buy.
Sandy

·
Registered
350 Posts
Your post reminds me of my best friend and I when we go to the Salvation Army store. Their prices have gone up a bit and we now are expected to pay $4 for jeans instead of $2.99.........LOL

·
23,497 Posts
I have sticker shock every time I go into a store. Everything seems like it cost so much money. I guess over time we have developed a network of trading and bartering and working together with friends, which does save money. I am always trying to see what I can give to people or work out various trades.

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
I'm also getting panic attacks in grocery stores... 79 cents a pound for turkey?? Wasn't it something like 30 cents a pound on sale last year?

We are not having turkey this go 'round. Too much waste for something that expensive.

·
23,497 Posts
MC- a turkey breast is usually about 99 cents a pound and barely any waste.

I keep watching for the BIG turkey sale- so far the lowest price is 79 cents a pound. I told my family that this year everyone has to pitch in on the Thanksgiving dinner. I usually do it all myself, but this time around I am handing out assignments for desserts, drinks, and things I did not grow myself.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The best price for roasting turkeys I've seen is $1.19/lb.!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Finally got to .79/lb store brand and .89/lb Honeysuckle here. I'm thinking we're having one of our home raised chickens for Thanksgiving unless I find a turkey for .69/lb or less. I miss the .39 days!

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
My last visit to the store was the same as always.... major sticker shock.... and of course I try to keep a book of prices.... WOW.... ugh, I don't even want to talk about it... LOL....

We were able to get turkeys at 39 cents / pound if we spent $25 on other things.... well with prices the way they are, not a problem....

I have quit going into the local Goodwill store.... their prices are crazy.... $6.99 for a pair of jeans.... and the only way you can take advantage of their "specials" is to buy into a card program they offer.... I do prefer the V.O.A., prices are not as bad....

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I'm also getting panic attacks in grocery stores... 79 cents a pound for turkey?? Wasn't it something like 30 cents a pound on sale last year?

We are not having turkey this go 'round. Too much waste for something that expensive.
Why would there be too much waste? We debone the turkey after the first meal and divide it up into different meals and freeze it. Use all the little pieces for either soup or turkey salad. Boil the bones and skin for broth to can or freeze for later use.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I do not buy beef at the grocery store and normally never look at the price of it….but one day I noticed a sticker of $43.92 on a 2 ½ lb roast….I asked the clerk if it was misprinted….she pointed out it was Filet Mignon….$16.00 a lb.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Why would there be too much waste? We debone the turkey after the first meal and divide it up into different meals and freeze it. Use all the little pieces for either soup or turkey salad. Boil the bones and skin for broth to can or freeze for later use.
Exactly! There's almost no waste to a turkey at all! I raise my own and still bought one for .57 a pound---you just can't beat that for value and I don't leave meat in the store for .57 a pound!

Jennifer

·
Registered
414 Posts
I transformed into my mother at the grocery store the other day. I bought (among other things) a dozen eggs and some canned kidney beans. The price of the eggs was $1.49 and the beans were 3 cans for $2.00. I couldn't believe I was saying this but when I got to the register I lamented to the (very) young checkout person that "the days of .99 eggs is long gone, huh?" She just kinda looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Then (to compound my embarrassment, I said "And these beans! I used to be able to buy them all day long for 2 cans for $1.00 AND on sale, 4 cans for $1.00!" Again, she kinda looked at me like she was ready to call the manager over to remove this crazy person from her register.
What I don't understand is if the price of food went up because the price of gas went up, and the price of gas has now dropped from almost $4.00 a gallon to just above $2.00 a gallon, why hasn't the price of food dropped? I guess 3 for $2.00 is now the new 4 for $1.00 and we just better get used to it. And BTW, it does absolutely no good to whine to the checkout girl. She has no idea what you're even talking about!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
We are doing MUCH better now that the price of gas has dropped to $1.85 gal here.

I commute 100+ miles round trip to work - DH commutes 80 miles round trip to work the opposite direction.

My car gets anywhere from 31-36 mpg average so doing the best I can.

Prices are also starting to drop at the store...must be transportation costs going down.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I don't even shop weekly any more these days. Just stop and control myself and buy what we really need when I'm in town. Coupons are used and discount prices only. The days of weekly big shopping trips is gone from our house. Glad we always have our "Y2K" supply built up..only in America !!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I don't feel quite so goofy. Wegman's (one of America's best 100 employers) has turkeys for $.49 and no minimum purchase. So we cooked one right away and wiggled two into the freezer. Other chains copied the price, but you haveto buy $15 or $20 (or more) at the same time AND after coupons. // I do not shop weekly, and I never make special trips for anything. I add my grocery stop into other necessary driving like a doctor's appt. That way I can take the mileage off my taxes. // What I want (and almost need) is a basic black, moderately heavy, zip-up or button-up black sweater! So, off I go window shopping yesterday, (on my way to my mammogram, natch), and to where they were having 50% off, plus 20% off that if over 55. Hmmm...black sweater. Floor-length, rib-length, round lapels with one big button, longish sweater with SHORT SLEEVES, huge cowel thing that wraps triple over the chest, has skinny sleeves and open neckline??? Sue

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
If you young folk think you have problems I turn 62 in January and am still comparing prices to those of the 1950s and 1960s. Read some old microfilmed newspaper grocery ads from that time period and you will know what I mean.

Expect many of you will be in disbelief when I tell you that my dad would not buy watermelons at 3¢ per pound. The price always came down a little later in the season to 2¢ and often 1½¢ per pound. Loved those big ol' dark green Black Diamond melons which would almost split open once a knife first pierced the rind. The smell was heavenly, the flesh was a deep red, and the taste was absolutely magnificent. Why, oh why can't I get a watermelon that tastes like that today. Heck I'd pay the 3¢ per pound price. lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts