Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night I had a very vivid dream where I felt really, really good. It occurred to me, that during the past 30 or so years there really was not a day when I did not feel tired, or "dragged down" (being overweight) or have an ache or pain somewhere. But since it had been so long since I felt really GOOD that I had come to just accept feeling bad. It wasn't until this dream that I remembered (from childhood maybe) just how GOOD it felt to feel GOOD.

I am wondering if it is possible to feel that way again. I am wondering if we just have to resolve ourselves to accepting that as you get older you FEEL BAD MOST ALL THE TIME. What kind of dismal future is that?

Is there anybody here who feels good all the time? Physically, I mean. No pain, no aches, no tiredness, no "draggy out" feeling? I wonder if anyone does, or if we are all in the same boat.

donsgal

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but I didn't know how good I felt before until I had to deal with cancer and surgeries and chemo and how bad that really made me feel. Now the treament I am on I only feel bad for the one day then I feel good and have tons of energy. I have resolved myself to doing whatever I have to do to be really healthy again and regaining that good feeling. I don't ever want to feel rundown again. I personally think it is a mind over matter thing, you have to have it in your mind that you will do what it takes to feel better. You mentioned being overweight (I am too) maybe get out daily for a 30 minute walk (or start out at 5 min. if that is all you can do). The exercise and the fresh air will do wonders!!! I find that the time I spend outdoors walking, working in the yard/garden etc. is a great time for prayer or meditation (depending on your beliefs) I like to connect with God but connecting with your own inner thoughts and feelings is good too! Good Luck, I know it is hard but I also think you can do it if you set your mind to it!

Dee

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Ashtina,

You go, girl! :)

I feel pretty danged good most of the time and I'm keenly aware of it as I spent about a year and a half in chronic pain from some issues that have since been resolved. The pain had a PROFOUND effect on my life ... I no longer take good health for granted. I am very grateful for it!

·
keep it simple and honest
3,810 Posts
If you have not, have your thyroid checked. It seems that more than half of women over 50 have an underactive thyroid, causing some of the symptoms you describe. It only takes a blood test to determine if that might be one of your problems, and if diagnosed, can usually be corrected with a very inexpensive medication to get things back to normal.
Ann

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
I feel pretty much 100% all the time - if I feel any physical discomfort, it's generally tired muscles from whatever I did the night before. We kayaked for the first time in almost a year yesterday, and my shoulders are feeling it a little this morning. :help:

Give up, as you sound like you want to, and I guarantee it will get 100X worse down the line. When I go to races, there are always people 70 years old and older who look great and are all smiles. The secret is "don't give up." It's that simple. You get the results you're willing to work for, and the quality of life that goes along with it. It's the difference between my 71-year-old MIL who "can't" get a Tic-Tac out of the container unassisted, and my 93-year-old grandmother who refuses to move from her 3-story house or let anyone help her with the laundry.

Think long and hard about that before you decide to "give up" when you're quite young still.

·
Registered
644 Posts
anniew said:
If you have not, have your thyroid checked. It seems that more than half of women over 50 have an underactive thyroid, causing some of the symptoms you describe. It only takes a blood test to determine if that might be one of your problems, and if diagnosed, can usually be corrected with a very inexpensive medication to get things back to normal.
Ann

I was just going to suggest this.
I have been dragged down and for years.. Everyone told me I had all the signs for a thyroid problem, but my tests came up normal. I was devastated. Year after year, Nothing, Sorry you're normal. You're going to have to eat better.
I eat whole grains, portion control and for a number of years I couldn't handle the meat, so my meat intake was minimal.
Sorry.. You'll just have to eat less..
At one point I had reduced my intake to a little over 1000 calories a day.

Sorry.. you'lljust have to excersise more. I worked a full time job, and by the end of the day I just couldn't do any more.

I drank coffee like it was going out of style, Sometimes upwards of four pots of coffee a day (and I was the only one drinking)
I took a vitamin called Micromax to aid digestion.
Drank water, Everything I could think of ..
and no change.
Still tired, Still sore, Still unfocused, and getting more so by the end of the day. I was **HAVING** to take a name by 3pm every day, just an hour or so, to keep going. Im only 40!!! But I felt like I was 80

Finally after moving here I got a doctor that actually listened to what I had to say. I had all five earmark signs that I have a thyroid problem, Even though my tests came back normal.

He offered to put me on the medication and moniter its effects, but the down side was that because my levels were normal, I had to pay for it myself.

I was all for it.

I can't tell you how much they've helped. How much more "Myself" I feel. No more dragging until I can't take it. No more "Just one foot in front of the other" No more restless nights, headaches, or confused behavior (ok.. thats not true.. Im still a little flighty at times, but I don't think thats the thyroid, just me :rolleyes: )

Take a look at this website, Read the articles, And if you match the earmark signs, Bring it to your doctor. Don't let them just brush you off. Even if its not Thyroid, make him/her listen. You shouldn't have to live with Bad being normal!

http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedanddiagnosed/a/deardoctor.htm

·
Registered
644 Posts
trixiwick said:
Give up, as you sound like you want to, and I guarantee it will get 100X worse down the line. When I go to races, there are always people 70 years old and older who look great and are all smiles. The secret is "don't give up." It's that simple. You get the results you're willing to work for, and the quality of life that goes along with it. It's the difference between my 71-year-old MIL who "can't" get a Tic-Tac out of the container unassisted, and my 93-year-old grandmother who refuses to move from her 3-story house or let anyone help her with the laundry.

Think long and hard about that before you decide to "give up" when you're quite young still.

Sometimes its not a matter of giving up. Sometimes its a matter of "just can't" Willpower alone is not enough, if your body chemistry is not balanced.

Im not attacking you, Trixiewick, nor your post. Im just saying, I never understood The looks and comments I got, When I was doing all the right things.
Nobody believed me..
They all thought I was having midnight raids to the candystore or something.
I kept a food journal and they rolled thier eyes..

And the worst part, is that after getting on the meds, They asked me
"Is your energy back to normal?"

and I didn't know... I said, "Its better then what it was.. I no longer NEED to take Naps." They had to ask me if I was still tired, to find out that I still wasn't normal.

and its such a gradual decline (at least for me) that I never really noticed how bad it was getting. I simply just kept compensating.
a nap, Some coffee, An energy drink, Sugar and carbs, All this to just keep moving and get normal stuff done.

I guess I'll get off this soapbox now.. Lol, Didn't really realize I had stepped up on one til I re-read the post.
I just feel very strongly about the subject, because I was just there..

Donsgal I hope you find what you need. Thats no way to live.

Ezrandi

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Ezrandi, since someone else had already mentioned the possibility of thyroid trouble, I didn't add more (don't really have anything else to add as I don't have any experience with it). But yes, of course, she needs to check whether there is an underlying medical reason. "Not giving up" also encompasses that, I'd say - going to the trouble of actually finding out what is medically wrong (if anything) rather than just saying "Oh well" and continuing to feel like crap forever.

Of course, if she comes out of her doctor's office without any particular reasons for her lack of energy and general good feeling, then it makes a lot of sense to look at lifestyle changes. Most Americans could use some.

·
Registered
644 Posts
trixiwick said:
Ezrandi, since someone else had already mentioned the possibility of thyroid trouble, I didn't add more (don't really have anything else to add as I don't have any experience with it). But yes, of course, she needs to check whether there is an underlying medical reason. "Not giving up" also encompasses that, I'd say - going to the trouble of actually finding out what is medically wrong (if anything) rather than just saying "Oh well" and continuing to feel like crap forever.

Of course, if she comes out of her doctor's office without any particular reasons for her lack of energy and general good feeling, then it makes a lot of sense to look at lifestyle changes. Most Americans could use some.
I agree..
As I said, it was not my intention to attack you or your post.
I agree, most american's could use lifestyle changes, Even I could. I still dont' excersise as much as I should.

I guess this ordeal is so fresh in my mind, (and body - lol) that I jumped right on the soap box. I just remember feelign bad, and discouraged, and depressed .. that there was "Nothing" wrong, it was all me.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

Ezrandi

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
No toes trodden. :) I'm glad you figured out what was going on with you.. and I hope Donsgal has better luck with doctors and their tests if this is indeed what's going on with her. :rolleyes:

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Ezrandi said:
I drank coffee like it was going out of style, Sometimes upwards of four pots of coffee a day (and I was the only one drinking)
all for it.
WOW! Talk about a caffiene boost!!

I do find eating better and getting more exercise does wonders. Myself, I am overweight, and have been trying to lose. I've already lost several pounds. But I do find if I keep myself active and that I feel more energized. If I sit for awhile, I tend to find it harder to get motivated to do anything.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
As I've mentioned before, I have been blessed with a very high pain tolerance. That has enabled me to 'ignore' pain a lot.

But, I've also been given a large dose of stubborness in that I refuse to give up and accept defeat. I absolutely refuse to allow myself to stop trying to live life even if I have physical disabilities and, yes, I am overweight. (Am losing weight BTW!)

All I can say is not to give up! Keep on keeping on! Sometimes we tell ouselves we're tired so much that we ARE tired and that's from negative thinking!

Negative thinking can destroy a person life and their relationships with other people. It can also cause aches and pain.

So, find something positive in the everyday world we live in and it doesn't hurt to read books on positive thinking either!

·
Registered
644 Posts
FiddleKat said:
WOW! Talk about a caffiene boost!!
Yeah it should have been.. lol
Im down to 2-3 Shared pots of coffee now.
about 4-6 cups a day.

FiddleKat said:
I do find eating better and getting more exercise does wonders. Myself, I am overweight, and have been trying to lose. I've already lost several pounds. But I do find if I keep myself active and that I feel more energized. If I sit for awhile, I tend to find it harder to get motivated to do anything.

Me too (now)
I have to schedule my time.

I get the kids off in the morning, Take care of the animals, and then
I get a couple of hours in the morning for reading mail, drinking coffee (of course) and having breakfast, and then I do my work.
After I get the main body of my list done, I can sit and relax before making dinner.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ardie/WI said:
All I can say is not to give up! Keep on keeping on! Sometimes we tell ouselves we're tired so much that we ARE tired and that's from negative thinking!

Negative thinking can destroy a person life and their relationships with other people. It can also cause aches and pain.

So, find something positive in the everyday world we live in and it doesn't hurt to read books on positive thinking either!
Good advice, Positive thinking is a definate plus.

Usually in the morning I say a little prayer counting my blessings, and in the evening I count them again, It keeps me focused on how much we have, instead of dwelling on losses or pains (Emotional or physical)

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Donsgal, you have a twin in NYS. :)

The thyroid suggestion is a good one. Also, do you get enough sleep, or do you get quality sleep? I was diagnosed with sleep apnea this spring and being on CPAP therapy has worked wonders for me. Make sure you are getting at least 7 hours of sleep. Lack of sleep can cause weight gain, and it doesn't matter if you are dieting or not.

Depression can also cause those feelings. And while pep talks for yourself are good, they can't cure a chemical imbalance in the brain.

You need to study yourself a bit (sounds like you are) and get to a doctor and start getting checked out. The unfortunate thing about it is you probably won't get an answer too fast, but it's one of those "a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step" deals--you won't get anywhere unless you can get started.

Jennifer

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,449 Posts
I'm 52, female, 5'4", 130 pounds. I feel great most of the time. Of course, there is the beginnings of arthritis, the occasional migraine, and other minor complaints.

Obesity is dragging your body down in more ways than one. Lose the weight. Walk every day, at least 30 minutes. Work up to more.

Drop all beverages that have calories. No soda, no alcohol, no sugary coffee or sweet tea.

Eliminate high fat snacks. Eat fruit and veggies instead.

Report back in 30 days....IF you stick to healthy choices.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Try regular exercise like walking and make it a habit. If you are overweight it will have an impact on almost every single facet of your life, especially the energy level and the mental health "feeling good" thing. I mean that most sincerely. Just give it a try for 6 weeks minimum. Get outside and breath that fresh air, walk and observe things as best you can, and enjoy just being outside with time to think. This should be YOUR time to be just you. :)

Regular active or passive meditation also helps. Here is a tip. Have a "creative workshop" for yourself for 15-20 minutes every day. During this "workshop" you think only positive thoughts or if you want, creative thoughts. If any negative feelings or thoughts come in, gently sweep them away. Be creative with this. It's a great tool! Imagine yourself living your perfect life. And add lots of detail. If you do this long enough...who knows! :dance:

How about making a list of your good qualities? Just make yourself feel good about who you are. It sounds like it might be a good idea to make a friend that you can talk to. Someone in your area, a neighbor, or anyone that is about your age, same gender, etc. Lots of times I get my good feelings from being surrounded by people I like.

Pat

Good luck!

Edited to add: Another feel good tool is a blog. I have three that are totally private, no one but me can see them. Yet they are free. I have a dream journal, my "perfect life" blog and my spiritual work blog. Give that a try. The perfect life blog is what I suggest for you.

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
Most of you know of the problems here, so I wont repeat--but few weeks ago, I went to the Dr. with shingles, my B/P was also rising, despite meds. He said the stress was turning in, on me.He suggested I take a tranquilizer, I protested, didnt want to start THAT!!- But, a few weeks later, on the way to do chores, I thought what a pretty day it was--then realized it had been soo long since I'd even noticed!
Samples ran out--wasnt a week before I wanted to run away from everyone!!
Went back yesterday, B/P still climbing, he thinks I'm about to have a stroke--So--I'm back on the pills.
Think you might be the same? Just so much to do that the stress is killing you?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Over weight will do a number on you "especially" when you hit the menopausal years. If it does happen to be a thyroid issue.....find a naturopath and have him/her set you up on a customized nutritional program. I had thyroid issues in my 30's and completely resolved it with nutrition. Actually, I feel better now at 56 than I did at 43.......so it is very possible to feel better as you get older. Never give up on that thought. Other than some arthritis in my knees(which is also getting better with regular massage therapist visits) I have no health issues. I need to lose 30lbs and I'm working on it. Find out about your metabolism and blood type and eat to fit it. If you hate to exercise......make up your mind that you can and will do it, even if it's a little at a time......set goals. Really, if you are able to walk......you have it made......walk more. I know you can feel better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.