Feeling Artistic ... How do I paint a House ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by scott, Apr 2, 2005.

1. scott

scott Well-Known Member

Time to put a fresh coat on the termite mound .... Never done this before ... It's a rental ...the owners could care less .... wooden siding ... peeling paint (latex i believe) and some green mold in spots ... Can you's guys walk me thru this .... surface prep ..... primer .... paint choices ... etc....

thanks ....

2. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Well first you need a paintbrush....

Next?

3. scott

scott Well-Known Member

would that be a 4" brush ??? I'm non-union .....

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

No paint brush is needed at all, but you will need about 500 printed leaflets.

On the leaflets you post all over town you will invite all paintball enthusists to come share the fun of painting your house, courtesy of paintballs purchased by you or the landlord. I figure it will take about 15 minutes per side to get a good coating of paint. You might invite small kids over the day before and let them smear grease over all of the windows and other glass. Er not smear, finger paint. That will allow the paint to easily be cleaned off.

OR

you could scrape, sand, or pressure wash the house to loosen the paint that is loose. Maybe a combination of all three. The green areas should probably receive some extra attention with some bleach soultion.

After the surface is clean and dry and all loose paint is removed you will need to prime the bare wood. Primer and paint are not the same, so don't just give it an extra coat of paint as a primer.

Since you have had green stuff growing I expect that some "Kilz" as per label would be in order.

I would apply the paint with a four inch brush and a 1½" angle brush for the trim. Start at the upper part and work your way down. This way you paint out any drips.

Load your brush pretty good to about half way up on the bristles. You'll get the feel for allowing the paint to flow out of the brush as you progress in your learning experience. Some like to pat any excess out of the brush on the inside of the can. Don't wipe excess on the edge of the rim as so many do.

Be sure to use your brush to really push/adhere the paint in the corners where siding meets trim, and in the corners of each siding board where siding overlaps.

That's a short version. I have somewhere I need to be so that's it from me.

good luck with the paintball adventure--or other.

5. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Windy in Kansas pretty covered the painting venture.

But, I like to do it just a bit easier. I tape plastic over the windows and doors and anything else I do not want to paint. I then take a paint sprayer, either one hooked to a compressor or an airless one and paint with it after prepping. It takes less paint and has better coverage, also doesn't tire you out so much.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Past pro painters tips, if your painting from the can punch nail holes into the bottom of the "U" shape of the paint bucket's place where it recieves the lid. This allows the excess paint to drip back into the bucket. Never stick in the brush beyond more than 2/3rd the brissel length. Stir all the paint buckets together first if there is any doubt about the colors matching. Allways cover the bucket with a cloth before pounding on the lid, then turn the bucket upside down to place an internal seal to the bucket, before storeing it right side up.

When cleaning your brush allways spread the brissels and look into the interior of it; allways wrap the brissels with a newspaper 'glove' and rubber band before storeing. Arrange your schedual so you will be in the shade while painting. Paint coverage is about 450 to 500 square feet per gallon, depending on the surfaces texture. If you run out of paint before finishing, stop at a cornor so the different light angles are created in case your second paint purchase is a slightly different color.

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can get a five gallon bucket, put four gallons of your paint into it and use a drill to stirl. If you are doing one bucket at a time, turn unopened bucket upside down for at least an hour while you fiddle around with other stuff. Then, place bucket on its side and roll back and forth with your foot to mix.

Pick three colors. The lightest one is your main color. The second color is for trim, and the third color is to add to the trim to dress it all up.