Feel like such a durn fool!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, Dec 28, 2004.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Arggg!! I didn't give my pregnent doe her CDT shot on time!!! I gave was supposed to give it to her 4 weeks away from being due...I now am giving it to her at 2 weeks away from being due :waa: :waa: :waa: . I feel like such a failure!!! I am giving the bose and the CDT shot today...I just pray those poor kids will be ok.... :waa: :waa: :waa: :waa: . I feel sooooo horrid right now :waa: :waa: :waa: .

MotherClucker

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

I did the same thing last year and everyone was ok.

3. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

What is CDT and should I be giving my possibly pregnant doe that 4 weeks before she is due?

4. GoldenWood Farm

Yes!
    CDT is..ooh..what does it stand for...its like a tetnus shot? I can't remember what the full name is. But you give them 3cc's CDT 4 weeks before they are due..then BOSE 2 weeks before they are due and then worm them 1 week before they are due. Or at least thats what I do.

Hopefully somebody else can answer your question more thoroughly than I did :eek: .

MotherClucker

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I have also slipped up sometimes, and the kids have been fine. I would suggest, though, that you give the kids a shot of tetanus antitoxin at banding, since they may not have the needed immunity. The antitoxin will give them more immediate, but short term, immunity. You should be able to pick up a vial at your local feed store.
    mary

6. GoldenWood Farm

I don't band my kids intill they are 3 months of age.

MotherClucker

7. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

MotherClucker, most everyone I know worms the next day after kidding. They say that is when the parasites go crazy. Are you refering to wethering your bucks or putting bands on horns? Most take care of either of these before three months old. Maybe if I'm wrong someone will get back and post different.

8. GoldenWood Farm

I worm 1 week before. I never band horns I burn them when they are 5 days old and I band at 3 months. I never will band any earlier because of the fact that it tends to affect their growing and their chances of getting urinarie calculi(sp).

MotherClucker

9. deetu

deetu Well-Known Member

I always thought that you give CDT 28 days before delivery. I was told that if you didn't know when they were due, they will usually start bagging up at that time.