Feeding

Discussion in 'Goats' started by famer_manda, Mar 25, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

Should I leave food out at all times for my goats or do I feed several times a day or once a day or how should I feed them ? I dont want them to over eat if that is posisble and I also dont want to underfeed them.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

They wont overeat on hay(but they will waste it).....minerals and baking soda free choice....I only grain on the milk stand for mostly Nubian girls....my 8 adult goats are eating 1 bale a day (square about 40lb) and freshened doe is getting 2# 16% animal feed on milk stand....I feed morning and night....

We do get truckloads of "tops" from a friend who is having his property logged....cedar and fir....one pick up truck lasts about a week....

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I give my pygmies 1/4 cup grain daily. Right now they also get 1/4 cup alfalfa pellets only because there is no forage. Late in the pregnacy around 2 mon. before kidding the pregnant does get worked up to however much grain/alfalfa pellets as I deem neccesary daily and will stay at that while producing milk. As milk production slows, I slow down grain intake untill dry and the doe is getting back down to 1/4 cup. free choice salt/minerals and baking soda 24/7. My goats only get hay in the winter or if there is no forage for them. My bucks don't get any grain or alfalfa pellets unless thin or wormy.

4. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Active Member

What I like to do is mix a 50# sack of White Tag feed (it's medicated) and a 50# sack of deer corn together in a wheel barrow and shovel it into one of those big blue buckets with the beige lid (not sure on exact size), and with a large batter bowl, give them 3 full bowlfuls every night, that way they get the good feed and get the corn as a "treat". This is for about 20 goats, they also have free-range on the grass that's coming up and we get them hay occasionally when the grass isn't looking too plentiful...

Kalena