Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you home brewers feed the left over grain mash from the wort or the yeast cake left in the primary to your brew to your chickens ? I read that the grains can cause hypothermia in dogs and cats so I assume it would do the same to poultry.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Feedipedia is a great source of info on alternative feeds. It says poultry do fine on spent brewer's grains up to about 30% of total feed.

Feedipedia Brewer's grains

There is something weird about that site. Will not work right for me in Foxfire but does fine in Explorer.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Darker dash grains (stouts, porters, etc) go to one of my friends chickens but no the yeast cake.

We dry and grind to flour lighter grains (ales, IPAs, Blondes, etc.). I use my solar oven without the reflectors to dry it but am considering building a solar dehydrator as the oven is too small for all grain batches.

Here's a good link to turning it into flour. http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/recipe-spent-grain-flour/

Reactions: kasilofhome

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
We always give the steeped grains to the chickens. They LOVE them. I think it's the hops that can cause hypothermia in cats and dogs, not the grains. We have never done anything other than compost the yeast cake. Would be interested in seeing some other uses for it, though.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
As to the yeast sediment after fermentation, we always put it into the septic. Except one time when I convinced DH to dump it into my compost pile instead.

As for the spent grains, those go to the chickens once they've cooled off.

·
Super Moderator
13,686 Posts
The old moonshiners around here all fed their left over mash to their hogs, cattle and chickens after using what they needed to sour their next batches of wash from what I heard from my grandfather.

I routinely add my wine leavings to my worm bins after flashing the alcohol off of them by lettings the leavings simmer in an old crock pot and cooling before mixing into the bins.

D

·
0 Posts
Chickens being true omnivores have no problem with spent brewer grains. You would be shocked at what chickens can and do eat when allowed and do great. I have fed spent grains and they loved it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I feed the spent grains to my chickens and it seems to give egg production a boost, but cant confirm this. I also keep some of it for soups and stews. I made a soup with some once and shared it with an older woman, I warned her that if it makes chickens lay more eggs, it might kick start her cycles again so beware!

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I experimented with using hops in home cooking as a seasoning. Tried it on meat and in sweets. Apart from it being really strong stuff and hard to use, both times I got an instant headache. I surmised that it might be okay in the small doses in beer but it cant be good for you generally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts