Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is January 14th, and I think I should start feeding about February first to support and encourage new bee production.

Do you folks feed in the spring? When do you start?

Here in Kansas I used to start at the end of February, but I have noticed that brood rearing is already underway so I think that I will feed earlier this year. JAnuary-February are the 2 coldest months, but apparently the bees think that it is the right time!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, we do in April, but we are medicating them with fumidil-B at the same time. Nosema Apis is what everyone used to be concerned about, now Nosema Ceranae seems to be the real concern. Many beeks are finding they have had it and didn't know it. Nosema Ceranae requires a longer feeding period with Fumidil-B from what I understand. Our long, damp, wet spring weather seems to be good breeding weather for it. If we want a big, quicker build-up of bees then we might start feeding a pollen or pollen substitute in the end of February here. :)

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Just because brood-rearing starts doesn't necessarily mean you want to stimulate it further. It's typical for the queen to start laying once the days begin lengthening a bit, but we're a long way from Spring build-up. For me, any feeding this time of year is 2:1 syrup because the hives are light on stores. Once you start "stimulative" feeding (e.g., 1:1) you can't stop, and a cold snap can easily result in a lot of lost brood.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Even here in Michigan the queen will lay some brood starting in mid to late December.
We place pollen patties in late Febuary to boost the queens laying so we can do splits and nucs. Mid to late March is when the 1:1 syrup feeding starts.

:D Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts