Feeding schedule and pics

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by punksheepshower, Jun 9, 2005.

1. punksheepshower

punksheepshower LiveLongLaughLotsPlayHard

ok well i weighed my lamb yesterday and hes now 112lbs. ..hes getting....a large amnt of timothy hay twice a day...gets such a bad belly if he only gets tiny handful..the more he gets the smaller his belly gets..and hes gettin...about 3 1/2 lbs of purina show chow a day...plus 3oz. show bloom a day and 3 oz. of this stuff called xcalibur once a day...so his feeding schedule looks like this:

MORNING

1.75 lbs Purina Show Lamb Chow
    Large amnt. of Timothy Hay

NIGHT

1.75 lbs Purina Show Lamb Chow
    3 oz. Show Bloom
    3 oz. xcalibur
    Lagre amnt. of Timothy Hay

does this look ok?? this is only my second lamb and my ag advisor hasnt even bothered to talk to me to make sure everything is ok and if i need help with anything....i just want to make sure i do all that i can with this lamb....he's not getting excersized too much right now. im trying to let him grow...is this the right thing to do? everyday he gets to get out of his pen and run himself around almost until he's panting...he does the little deer hops all over the place....its really cute. lol. if anybody has any suggestions on something i should do or if im doing everything right just let me know..because right now i have no clue. Our fair is the third week in october. He's a big lamb. when im bracing him his head is already up to my waist. and hes almost 4 1/2 months...heres a couple pics

3 MONTHS OLD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/stephanieslambs/lambs/3months-profile.jpg
    REAR 1
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/stephanieslambs/lambs/3months-rear.jpg
    REAR 2
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/stephanieslambs/lambs/3months-rear2.jpg

RANDOM PIC
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/stephanieslambs/lambs/happylammy.jpg

..i know im not bracing well at all...he wasnt used to me then and just kind of wanted to run away but now hes more trusting and hes pretty awesome about it..ill try and get him shaved again here sometime soon and take more pics...thanks in advance for all your comments ~stephanie~

2. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

That sounds like a wonderful feeding plan to me Stephanie... He sure looks terrific, wow, will he look great in October for fair! We feel a little over 3 lbs a day til 100 lbs and then as you move closer to fair 4 plus pounds... We always make sure we have free choice sheep loose minerals and free choice baking soda as well. Beautiful,beautiful lamb, Im sure your proud!

3. punksheepshower

thank you! thats really encouraging :D what does the free choice baking soda do? and how much and how do you feed that?? i really need to find out the weight limit for the fair..im kind of hopeing there isnt one..im a little worried he might be over it if there is...but anyways. how close to fair to you start to feed around 4 lbs?? thank you for being so encouraging livestockmom. on the "other site" we've talked about (lol) they almost had me convinced that there was nothing i could do that would make his top look better and that i pretty much could have done better on selection. i agree his top could be better but..o well.better luck next time...i brace him differently and he looks so much better now! the nicest thing someone said was i love how white he is. but thank you a lot for you advice and encouragement! :D :D

4. livestockmom

your welcome, I really do think he is a great looking lamb.
    We leave out free choice baking soda for our sheep, goats and llamas.
    If they overeat or have indigestion, its like reaching for a Tums to settle their tummy, helps them belch if they get a little bloaty too...just always make sure you have fresh cold water available at all times, like you do anyway.
    I up the food a few weeks before fair (and cut out the hay a few days before to reduce a big hay belly)
    just make sure you up the food slowwwwwly, so he wont get diarreah.
    oh, and the baking soda we buy at the feed store in the 50 lb bag because we have a lot of livestock but you can use the good 'ol box out of the fridge or cupboard in a pan, he will love it!

5. livestockmom

Oh, about the weight for fair? Most of ours have a entry weight of 120 lbs ( if under they can be shown in the Feeder class ) and the maximum pay weight of 165... they can weigh over, but only get paid for the 165 pounds... check your rules and classes, they may be alot different. I like when they dont have a maximum weight like when I raised market lambs, kids would walk them and withhold food or water so they could make weight, I don't like that.

6. punksheepshower

so you just pour a box of baking soda in a pan and leave it out all the time?? they wont think its a treat and try to eat it all will they?? i finally found the rule book for our fair. that was difficult. but i found it. there is no weight limit!!! yay!!! lol. i was really kind of worried about that because hes a big lamb and i didnt want to have to hold him and then have him not look as good as he could with some weight. but i dont have to worry about that :D if i cut out his hay..he gets a big belly. the more hay he gets the more like a tube he looks. i've been experimenting. give him lots and see what it does...dont give him any for a few days see what it does..give a little. etc. he does best on a lot of hay....so far..he may change. i dont know. lol...someone said i should start feeding #1 fast forward mineral...have you had any experiences with feeding this?? they told me that it keeps thems lean and hard to the touch...thanks AGAIN. lol. ~stephanie~

7. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

Sheep only eat the baking soda when they need it, I've fed free-choice soda for years, especially right before and in the months after lambing.
    Nice ram, good luck with him!!!!

8. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

your local feed store should have bicarb in a 50lb sack.

9. punksheepshower

heres the thread i was talking about melissa

10. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

ok Thanks, I can't look at the pictures as my computer freezes as soon as I click on them but I like the feeding plan. I have looked around for the purina show chow and I can't find it here. I wonder if it is only in the US.

Melissa