Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been given access to over a ton of rice, straight from the field. It is in a grain truck that caught in fire, but the rice wasn't harmed. I would like advice on whether it's ok to feed the rice to my hogs, and should I cook it or will soaking it be ok?

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
I have been feeding mine the rice my 3 and 5 yo made nasty. I cook mine. MAkers my girls warm on these bitter nights we seem to be having. I bring rice and water to a boil. Shut off stove. Put on a lid, then let it sit and absorbe the water. I add watste milkeggs and ground corn too.

·
Banned
1,459 Posts
You will need to cook it up pretty well. I tried some brown rice I had bought in bulk and it was getting a bit old. I thought it may get buggy, and being late spring I didn't see using it right up. I cooked some up which was fine and then tried some about half done. The half cooked passed right through.

Old faithful dogs like it pretty well cooked up with meat. My Akita buddy Tucker gets some every day.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Anybody have an opinion on rice bran? I used it a few times when I had it but nothing else (I had it as a calf bottle supplement for weening). hogs didn't seem to mind but I wondered if amount else had tried it and what the results might have been.

·
Registered
904 Posts
zimobog,
The one rice bran product I know of is formulaed for horses. It is fortified to bring the calcium up to match the naturally higher phosphorus content of the rice bran. It has a very high fat content, which seems in conflict with swine rations, and not especially high in protein. It is also rather pricey, as I recall. I guess I tend to think it's not worth the price and potentially ill-suited for pigs. But I'd be curious to hear what others think.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I used high fat rice bran to put weight on horses too; not sure about how pigs would do and yes - it was expensive but anything labeled for horses around here tends to be.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This rice bran I bought I was figuring on mixing and feeding to a couple of calves at weening time. It's got about 11% protein if I recall. So not much compared to other feeds.

When I gave up on the idea of bottle feeding it to the calves I just wanted to find a use for it. Currently I'm putting about a gallon and a half of bran with four gallons of hot water in a barrel, stirring it up with what ever else I have to go in and pouring it out in the troth for them.

They seem to like it, but I ain't going to rely on it being a replacement feed.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
I'd cook rice. If nothing else, you might try making a steamed mash out of it. Pour boiling water over it in a bucket, cover with a terry towel and leave it to steep until it is cooled.

Probably, you will have to cook it.

Rice bran is fine, but it is a supplement, not a meal. Add a small scoop to the regular grain diet. It tends to be expensive and it doesn't store long before it goes rancid, but if you can get it for cheap, or free, add a bit to the diet. It is good nutrition, just not for a large percentage of the diet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far we have been just grinding it with a hand grinder in our spare time and mixing it in with cracked corn and molasses coated rolled oats. We let it soak good before feeding it. I located an big old iron kettle at my mom's place. It was cracked a little but I repaired it somewhat, and I plan to cook the rice outdoors in it and mix a little molasses in with it. My wife cooked up a batch of corn and rice on the stove one day and they ate it up like you've never seen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts