Feeding Raw Eggs question

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by River Rest, Dec 11, 2006.

1. River Rest

River Rest Home-Insteader

Hi,

I'm starting to feed my cats & dog more raw foods. Some of them love raw eggs. I know raw eggs can help cats pass hairballs. My question is" how many can I feed a week? Can I feed them every day?

Thanks!

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd like to know this too, so let's bump it up.

When my hens are laying my dog gets eggs sometimes, usually when I run out of meat.

3. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

I feed my dogs and all my dogs raw eggs often. Sometimes they 4 eggs at once. When I grew up, my parents always fed our dog a special treat on Sundays mornings, a raw egg becuase it is really good for their coats. I feed my dogs more than that! All the very dirty or broken eggs they get and boy oh boy are their coats shiny and healthy but more than that, they have the shiniest toenails you ever saw on dogs! It is just shocking. Protein! A lot of dog food is mostly starches and grains so I know it is the eggs. I don't even feed my puppy puppy food which has extra fats and oils in it and protein presumably. As far as I can tell, dogs thrive on raw eggs, mine do! I probably average out to at least an egg a day, last year, probably two eggs a day per dog. I also feed eggs to my cats. At first they only liked the eggs whipped up with milk but by now they tear into a raw egg no problem, although they prefer it whipped up, not having the tongues that dogs do to suck up the yolk. I have just always had raw eggs as part of the picture of health for dogs and my parents were city folks too. They didn't have the excess eggs I do, they just thought it important and healthy for our dog.

4. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

My boys get an egg every day- but it's not always raw. Sometimes they get scrambled or hard-boiled eggs if I'm making some for myself. Occasionally they get omelettes when an experiment in Interesting Omelette Ingredients (olive+feta+tomato sounds like a good idea but came out nasty) goes awry.....

5. River Rest

River Rest Home-Insteader

Hey thanks! I wasn't sure if I was doing more harm than good.

6. melina

melina Well-Known Member

Never feed raw whites, give yolks only. Raw whites interfere with the absorption of nutrients. Cooked whites are fine.

7. mike3367

mike3367 lost in my own mind

i just boil mine a few minutes then give them to them fixes all the problems with raw eggs

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

You can feed whites, if you also feed the yolk. The whole egg is perfectly balanced.