feeding rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by backachersfarm, Jul 24, 2005.

1. backachersfarm

backachersfarm Well-Known Member

I'd like to get some input from folks not using rabbit pellets. I hate to pay the high price of pellets and have so much of it be dust. I've never had a rabbit who could clean up the dust at the bottom of the feeder.

Thanks
    Sharon

2. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

If you're not very concerned with numbers (as in, percentage of nutrients as printed on the pellet bags), you can try hay cubes. They work great, the rabbits love them, there's little waste.

I feed hay cubes over the winter. All other times of the year, I feed them what I mow (mower with catch bag) and they do really, really good on that. It's a complex mix of local grasses, weeds, wildflowers, seed heads, etc., so they're getting a more rounded diet than from anything commercial. About every other day, I give them some treat, carrots or apples or rolled oats or sunflower seeds, not that they need it.

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

You're right about the rabbits not being able to eat dust; however, that problem can be solved by using a good quality feed in addition to feeders with screened or perforated bottoms to sift out any remaining dust. Personally, I like feeders with perforated bottoms because they seem to last longer than screened bottoms.

4. doninwis

doninwis Active Member

You're right, Rabbits seldom will eat dust. If you are determined to feed commerical pellets, you will have to do some searching for a new brand or perhaps it is simply a manufacturing date. Often times a product will sit in a warehouse longer than usual, or the storing conditions might not be just what they should be. Fines happen, and we as feeders have to deal with them. If you have poultry, they can be mixed in with poultry feed and probably wont go to waste.

You could also feed whole grains and forages or mix with pellets. By mixing, you are creating a double dose sort of problem, but the rabbits will consume what they want/need and all will usually be well.

I feed a mixture of pellets,(inexpensive) whole oats(clean - "pearl"), sunflower seed, Sweet feed (horse) Beet pulp, and roasted soybean. I try to mix about 25% pellets and75% equal amounts of the other ingedients combined. Along with this, a generous amount of grass(quack) or other weeds that happen to get collected with each handfull. My rabbits will leave the grain and go for the forages first.

I haven't tried to figure out the %'s on this, but have noticed that some leave the sunflowers,others leave the beet pulp. When feeding a group (litter) usually everything is cleaned up each day.

Hope this helps some.

Don/wis