Feeding Pregnant Boer Does

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I have been feeding Pilgrim's Meat Goat Pellet that is medicated. You aren't suppose to feed this to pregnant goats so what do you feed YOUR pregnant Boer does throughout their pregnancy?

2. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Do you have access to Kent's brand feed? They have an 18% Milking Goat pelletized feed that is great. There isn't any medication in it. Are you sure you can't feed the medicated to them? I was under the impression that the medication shouldn't be fed if the milk is being used for human consumption but if some of the medication, to prevent coccidiosis, is passed on to the babies, it shouldn't hurt anything right? Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, the Kent's has worked great for us. It has the higher protein content for lactating does too. Any other time, we feed the Kent's regular goat feed. It comes in medicated or non-medicated.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I've given the medicated pellets to pregnant dairy and Boer yearlings with no problems in either the does or the kids. What I usually feed all my goats, including the Boers during their pregnancy is Alfalfa hay and pellets along with a mixture of dairy goat pellets, BOSS and dry cob.

4. Milking Mom

Thanks for the replies. I've just been told that I shouldn't feed the medicated feed to pregnant goats. I don't know the reasoning behind it. Has anyone had any problems feeding this medicated pellet to their goats? I'd rather not change their feed if it is ok to keep on feeding them the same thing they have been used to eating. I haven't heard of Kent feeds around here. Our feed store doesn't even carry a dairy pellet for cattle nor does the tractor supply near us. TSC does carry a plain goat pellet that is suppose to be good for all goats.

5. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Our TSC carries the Kent feeds. Different things at different areas of the US I guess!! You could always contact the manufacturer and ask them. That would be the thing to do if you want to be sure. If it doesn't say not to feed it on the feed bag, I wouldn't worry about it. If someone told you that, could it be they are mistaken? There are a lot of misinformed people out there. They might be confused about the medication in the milk. It isn't good for humans but should be OK for goats. I'd read the label on the bag carefully and if you are still concerned, call the manufacturer. That way you'll have the correct information.

6. Milking Mom

Good idea. Thanks. I'll go get the tag off the bag and do that. :) Now why didn't I think of that?? :shrug:

7. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

The manager of two TSC stores here told me they are market testing the Kent brand, but not at all of the stores. I've got three TSC stores within 15 miles of home and only one of the three carries Kent goat feed.

Hopefully they don't decide to discontinue all together, as that's what I've been buying all summer for my feed mix.