Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told us that we shouldn't feed chicken bones to the pigs for the same reason that you don't feed them to dogs, that they will choke. It seems like you would be able to feed them the carcass from baked chickens but am checking with you all to find out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I don't feed chicken to our pigs but it is because I do feed them to the dogs. The bones, raw or cooked, have never hurt our dogs. The pigs would probably like the bones. In the wild they would eat mice, birds, etc.

The thing about dogs and bones is a myth, at least for ours. I was told this myth as a child, and about pork bones too. I observed the reality that the dogs eat bones when ever they can - raw, boiled, baked, fried, canned, etc. What goes in the front end as sharp crunchy bones comes out the back end as paste (doggie doo-doo). They have very powerful jaws and stomach acids.

Of course, your dog may be different so you'll have to make your own choices.

At our place the dogs get first dibs on animal protein like meat and bones, after us, then chickens get it next (slaughter offal). Thus there is never any for the pigs.

Additionally I prefer raising vegetarian pigs. I would rather they didn't get into the habit of eating meat although they probably snack on the occasional mouse, bird or snake out in the field.

Cheers

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

·
Not a Cannibal
358 Posts
I would never try to debate walter about pigs but when it comes to dogs I would not take the risk. There is a huge difference in the consistancy of bones when cooked vs raw. I love my dogs and also would prefer not to have the huge vet bills associated with feeding cooked bones to them. MYth well possibly but not a risk I would take.

(i do however feed raw bones, chicken, beef, lamp, and pork)

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
My dogs get my bones after my meal no matter what critter they come from. They always have. I free choice feed, so my dogs nibble instead of wolfing down their feed. Better for digestion. When they get the bones, they chew and eat them slowly.

Years ago, a friend who is a vet, told me he wouldn't admit it to just anyone, but he does the same. He said every dog should be taught how to eat bones 'cause so many will one day get into a garbage can.

I don't remember in what order he said the chicken bones should be fed to teach the dog.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I've always been told that COOKED chicken bones splinter but raw ones do not. I've never found this to be true. :shrug:

I don't give the dogs anything sharp but my vet says I'm still taking a risk as he has done THOUSANDS of surgeries on dogs that have bone splinters inside them rupturing their guts. :( I'm already a worrywart dangit!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Up to you. I pull all bones out of my waste pig food but don't always get them all. That cost me a pig. When we cut it open in the hope of finding the cause, a cooked chicken bone had perforated the gut.

As to dogs, no way. Twice been to the vets with dogs and bones and it both cases it would have killed the dog. If your going to feed your dog bones, make sure they are raw and preferably have some meat attached to them so that they have to knaw (sp?) and crunch them to get at what they want. No wild dog ever cooked his mutton - nor did the pigs for that matter.

Cheers,
Ronnie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.