feeding medicated feed to pregnant doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chiwapacreek, Jan 14, 2014.

1. chiwapacreek

chiwapacreek Well-Known Member

All my kids get noble goat but since it is medicated I started feeding my pregnant girls something unmedicated. My question is, can you feed pregnant and or milking does medicated feed? I read somewhere that you were not supposed to feed pregnant ones medicated so that is why I stopped. I have now been reading that some people do feed it...

2. Clovers_Clan

Clovers_Clan Well-Known Member

It would depend entirely on what the "medicated" part is. It sounds like a coccidiastat possibly. Check on the bag for the medicated ingredient and then we can give advice on that component.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Noble Goat has a med free variety - Dairy Parlor.

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I personally would not feed mine medicated if I was drinking the milk.

5. chiwapacreek

chiwapacreek Well-Known Member

That's how I felt. The other feed store sells ADM dairy goat pellets??? And I called the one down the road and the will special order noble goat dairy parlor for me but it will take 2-3 weeks. What would you do?

6. dozedotz

dozedotz Well-Known Member

We feed mostly whole oats, small amount of BOSS and Purina Dairy Parlor (our feed store has it all the time). I like it...some people do not because they are trying to avoid any feed that is GMO.

Alice In TX/MO likes this.
  7. Frosted Mini's

Frosted Mini's Well-Known Member

Medicated feed is fine for pregnant does, but I would not feed to lactating, due to it coming into the milk, unless you are not going to be consuming the milk. There should be a withdrawal time, so you can see how long after they are taken off of it, it will leave the system....usually just a few days for a coccidiostat, and you probably won't be drinking the milk of a doe that newly fresh anyway.