Feeding Meat to Pigs?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by CesumPec, Dec 20, 2011.

1. CesumPec

CesumPec Well-Known Member

My grandfather, decades long ago, had a few acres on a mountain top in the Smokies. He raised much of his own food including a few pigs each year and cured hams in a half underground shed. I have no idea how it's done today by homesteaders, but the hams were wrapped in what I guess was a cheese cloth. They would be black with mold that had to be cut away. As a small boy grown up in the city, I was grossed out right up until I had my first taste. It was wonderful.

I'm going to be getting pigs in about a year and have been reading several books. One is adamant that the eleventh commandment is, "No meat shall ever touch the lips of a pig." According to this author, that is how pigs get diseases, worms, and worship the devil. My grandfather fed table scraps, butchering scraps from chickens and anything he hunted which included rabbit, squirrel, and deer.

DO any of you feed meat to your pigs and what do you think of grandpas practices?

2. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

Clean, healthy meat is a good source nutrients for all sorts of animals including pigs. But feeding meat to pigs is illegal in some (many?) states. The laws date to issues with disease transmission. Cooking the meat would solve those problems but regulations tend to get made hard and fast and be a substitute for thinking.

My suggestion would be to check with your state regs and if it is illegal do not feed meat to your pigs. If it is legal it probably requires cooking and even if it doesn't require that it would still be wise just to be sure you don't have a problem.

The big thing is you want to break disease cycles.

3. bruceki

bruceki Well-Known Member

There are both state and federal laws on feeding meat to pigs. I wrote a blog entry earlier this year with the background on why the laws were written. you'll find that here.

Pigs will happily eat it, and in the wild, they'll seek it out. Our modern version of vegetarian diets for chickens and pigs is just that -- not based on what the animal would prefer.

Bruce / ebeyfarm.blogspot.com

4. CesumPec

Thanks Highlands and Bruce. Bruce, read your blog and the S Korea article. Very informative. Since these pigs will be for family consumption and not for sale, I'm not worried about state and fed inspectors but I will be cautious about meat sources.

5. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

We feed meat instead of soy. We either feed fresh immediately, or frozen to avoid rotting. They always clean it up rather quickly.

6. oregon woodsmok

oregon woodsmok Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never fed meat to pigs. I've got dogs. The dogs get any meat that I don't want, which isn't a lot of it.

7. txplowgirl

txplowgirl Well-Known Member

Out in west texas where I grew up it was known as a no no to feed meat to pigs because it made them mean as a snake. I do know they will go nuts and run over anyone and anything trying to get a snake.
    The feral hogs in Texas are known to attack people if they can get a hold of em. Another reason besides the overpopulation is there are reports of them eating peoples newborn calves, sheep, goats, chickens, you name it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  8. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Feeding meat or garbage to hogs is only illegal if you plan to sell the meat. Never had to call for a rendering truck in the old days if one had hogs on the farm. Even the last horse to die on our home farm was dragged to the hog pasture where it vanished within a couple months.

Martin

9. bruceki

bruceki Well-Known Member

Ceseumpec -- that's the basic take home lesson. If it's for your own consumption and on your own property, the chances are you'll never have a legal issue. Just be careful about all food sources.
    The final thing about feeding meat is that if you feed too much it gives the fat on the pig a yellowish tinge -- similar to what you see on jersey beef. It's not harmful, and doesn't affect the taste, but visually it's a bit distracting. figure more than about 10% of the calories is the limit.

Bruce / ebeyfarm.blogspot.com

10. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

we fed all of our chicken carcasses and the leftovers from a goat butcheringto the pigs we raised this year. They turned out quite tasty and didn't get mean at all.
    My neighbor raises heritage blacks and they got mean after he fed butcher scraps though...couldn't put a hand in their pen at all

11. BillHoo

BillHoo Well-Known Member

Generally meat is not bad for them. But we got diseases like mad cow by feeding diseased animals ground up into cow feed.

Predators are not good to eat because toxins and heavy metals in plants get concentrated in herbivores and further concentrated in predators when they eat the animals.

It shouldn't be bad in small amounts. I just wouldn't make it a practice.

12. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

a pig is an omnivore and feeding it meat is far different than feeding meat to an herbivore like a cow.

13. Dry Bridge

Dry Bridge Well-Known Member

The following at least is an opinion of our predescesors...

Now whether this holds any truth or not, I leave it to others more capable of offering their experience.

Paul B.

14. duckidaho

duckidaho Well-Known Member

I fed mine meat occasionally. If I had something freezer burned, I'd cook it and feed it to the pigs. Also cooked table scraps. We didn't feed them much of it. Our pigs taste great this year. The best pork I've ever had in my life.

15. CesumPec

With dogs, I've been told you don't feed them chicken bones, Does it matter with pigs?

16. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

with dogs it is the cooked chicken bones that are an issue. Raw bones are not a problem. Our 3 pigs ate almost 100 chicken carcasses without a problem.

17. CesumPec

thanks, that makes sense. I've never seen a wild pig ordering deboned chicken in a restaurant,

18. blaineiac

blaineiac Well-Known Member

I feed my dogs cooked chicken bones too. If I don't, the will tear up the trash and eat them anyways. And that makes for the dogs eating the bones and me cleaning up trash. I skip step 2 and just let them have them. As far as my hogs, I'll give the breeders any deer scraps, There's a lot of shoulder meat left. The dogs usually get the chickens though. I did see the pigs get one a few weeks ago, it must have gotten stepped on during the feeding frenzy. That was suprising because the birds eat with the pigs. I've seen them picking leftovers out of the pigs beards. Well, they do eat meat and I don't think it makes them "mean" or "chicken killers". Sometimes one is unlucky and gets turned into bacon, but they get along pretty well. Blaine

19. matt_man

matt_man Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom is terrified of hogs. She had a friend growing up that lived on a dairy farm. They used to feed the dead calves to their pigs. One day the owner fell in the pig pen and they ate him.

That being said, we feed our hogs table scraps - which sometimes include meat but never other pork. They have been known to snatch a chicken also if they get too close to the feed trough. We've never had a problem with them trying to go after us.

20. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

Sounds like a myth. Our dogs eat pork bones and chicken bones raw, roasted, boiled, etc. We have had a lot of dogs for decades and all of them ate the bones. Never a problem.