Feeding Kids

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Christiaan, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I'm going to get a doeling and wether this spring. Is there a commercial milk substitute available for bottle feeding or will I need to buy goat milk for them?

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

See if the folk that you are purchasing from can freeze you a couple of gallons of goats milk for the kids, it's the best thing of course. Than once you get home, 1/2 the goats milk with Vitamin D whole grocery store milk. Whenever anyone who does not have goats milk available to them, and who is going to buy it for 6 to 12 dollars per gallon? to feed kids, I always wean the kids onto grocery store milk before they leave. It is of course lower in fat, but it's certainly better for them than any milk replacer. If you do get talked into using milk replacer, follow the directions to the letter, too much replacer, too much water in the replacer, soy, cold unless full fed, will simply kill your kids. Very honestly soy milk replacer + infant ruminant = death. Vicki

3. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

We have used Manna Pro Unimilk replacer, and it works great. There is one guy who we buy kids from who is milking about 200 head of goats and sells his milk to make cheese and everything, so he puts them on that. It works great for us at least. Pure goat milk is the best though.