Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to a rep for a feed mix today. She suggested 4.5 lbs grain feed per gestational sow. Does this seem right? The grain we would be using is low on filler - no cobs, etc. They would add a mineral mix specified for gestational sows to the grain. We are working our way into more pasture. We are currently planting annual pastures and garden crops which seem to be snack items - granted we had gilts we were growing to maturity for breeding. With winter coming, how many pounds of feed per day will you feed your breeding herd while gestating? We would love ideas on a maintenance diet for the girls - soon to be mommas!

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Are the sows housed inside or outside? What is their condition?

What will the ration contain? What is the lysine level?

4.5 is an average on the low side. If the sows are actually gilts that are still growing they will probably need closer to 6 pounds per day.

The biggest challenge in feeding pregnant sows it so keep them in proper condition. Most people have their sows WAY WAY WAY too fat. This leads to birthing problems and poor milking sows.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I spoke to a rep for a feed mix today. She suggested 4.5 lbs grain feed per gestational sow. Does this seem right? The grain we would be using is low on filler - no cobs, etc. They would add a mineral mix specified for gestational sows to the grain. We are working our way into more pasture. We are currently planting annual pastures and garden crops which seem to be snack items - granted we had gilts we were growing to maturity for breeding. With winter coming, how many pounds of feed per day will you feed your breeding herd while gestating? We would love ideas on a maintenance diet for the girls - soon to be mommas!
Breed?
Weight of Gilt?
Body condition?

Sounds like you have about 10 more days of waiting.
4.5 lbs. sound right if Gilt is in good shape. Like can you just feel her back bone and hip bone when pressing down firm. If she is to much on the slim side increase to 6 lbs. If a bit overweight 4.5 lbs is enough. Corn/Soy feed?

I use 16 % protein for all pigs on farm. Salt .45-.95 max.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the sows housed inside or outside? What is their condition?
What will the ration contain? What is the lysine level?
Gilts who will be sows are outside - will be 12 months old in a couple of weeks. We were free feeding while they were growing - pellet feed from Southern States. Body condition has been good until the last month - girls have been eating much more and heavier than they should be but not extreme as they run around a lot. All due to farrow Nov. 12th or up to two weeks after. Here is the breakdown on the premix for feed - they will make it 17.5% protein for lactating sows.
Prolific Sow Feed Mix:
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein (Min.) ........................................... 6.0%
Lysine (Min.) .................................................... 0.75%
Crude Fat (Min.).................................................. 4.0%
Crude Fiber (Max.) .............................................. 4.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Min.) .......................................... 10.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Max.) ......................................... 12.2%
Phosphorus (P) (Min.) ......................................... 6.3%
Salt (NaCl) (Min.) ............................................... 7.5%
Salt (NaCl) (Max.) .............................................. 9.0%
Selenium (Se) (Min.) ......................................... 4 ppm
Zinc (Zn)(Min.) ........................................... 2000 ppm

Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Processed Grain By-Products, Animal and Vegetable Fat, Salt, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), d-Biotin, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Chloride and Sodium Selenite.

Mixing Directions
Feed Type Gestation Lactation
Corn 1570 1350
48% Soybean Meal 280 500
Prolific Sow-150 150 150
Total 2000 2000

Thoughts on the feed mix, Lazy J?

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
That ration should be adequate. Just for comparison, my rations for highly productive sows that will wean about 150# of pigs at 20 days of age consume a ration with 22 to 23% crude protein and about 8% fat.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That ration should be adequate. Just for comparison, my rations for highly productive sows that will wean about 150# of pigs at 20 days of age consume a ration with 22 to 23% crude protein and about 8% fat.
I wondered about that. They can bump up the protein by adding more soybean meal. I noticed Southern States Sow ration is at 20% protein. Thanks for the input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts