Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be a reoccurring question of sorts. Has anyone fed any of the traditional spices like sage, cinnamon or even maple syrup mixed into their livestock feed the last month before butchering? Has it effected overall flavor?

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
This seems to be a reoccurring question of sorts. Has anyone fed any of the traditional spices like sage, cinnamon or even maple syrup mixed into their livestock feed the last month before butchering? Has it effected overall flavor?
Don't know how much it would add to the favor Maple or Molasses. Lots of sugar so it will put the fat on.

Manganese,zine,calcium,iron,potassium,selenium and a lot of other good stuff.

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/pig-whiskey

The above link is about this subject but i wouldn't pay a lot of attention to it. Just kind of funny. :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
The thought crossed my mind to experiment with finishing pigs on "Sweet Feed" horse feed, with molasses. Typically the are low in protein, but I've discovered a 16% version. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
gerold, is that something you mix yourself or buy pre-mixed?
Had 800 lbs. mixed up last week. Using cracked corn/molasses for some of my feeders just to see how they do on it. Got other gilts and feeders on ground corn/molasses plus vit/mineral mix. Staying off soy bean now as i can't get any without chemicals in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts