Feeding eggs to pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tyusclan, May 3, 2005.

1. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

A couple of eggs a day would be a good treat for the pig but would not replace all the protein requirements.

2. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

Do you know how to check eggs for freshness? Just put them into enough water so that they can float, which they will if they are bad. If they tip up on one end, they are not fresh, but good enough to eat for either people or animals.

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

two eggs , i wouldnt adjust ration at all, a dozen or so , thats a different story, but since they are feeders, i stil wouldnt adjust, more protein more weight gain ....

ours get 5 or 6 a day right now, nothing major
    and i dont change the feed at all

4. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

Mine race across the pasture every time they see me walk into the hen house. The piglets (3 weeks old) get the left over out of Mom's mouth. Peanut Butter (piglets momma) can move fast for a 300lb for an egg. She gets 1-2 a day and loves em.

5. backyardfarmer

backyardfarmer Member

This might seem like a dumb question, but do you just give them the whole egg?

6. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

Egg test. Laying flat good egg. Floating up to the top bad egg.
    [​IMG]

Q. Is there a danger of feeding pets large amounts of raw eggs?

A. There is some danger because raw egg white contains avidin which complexes with the vitamin biotin, rendering it unavailable during digestion. Heating or cooking destroys avidin. However, your pet would have to eat an awful large amount of raw eggs before having a problem!

Disclaimer. I don’t have any idea what this means, (contains avidin which complexes with the vitamin biotin, rendering it unavailable during digestion) except cook your eggs before feeding them to animals.

7. Ramon

Ramon Active Member

Backyard Farmer
    No, I just crack the egg and feed them the insides and compost the shell. I have chickens that mingle with the pigs and sometimes lay near them and I don't want the pigs to associate the egg with what's inside. Don't know if my plan really work for the long run, but so far it has.
    Ramon

8. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I give mine the whole egg. She crunches away happily!

Dan

9. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Same here. Just throw the whole thing in the pen.

10. cutinpony

cutinpony Active Member

I have found nest hid here and there and fed the eggs to my pigs. Cracked the eggs into the feedtrough and pitched the shells to the side. After the hogs cleaned up the yolks they went after the shells and ate those too.

11. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this while driving and suddenly broke out laughing...Why not just cage the hens over the pigpen and let the eggs fall through to the pigs?

I'm not really this lazy, it's just sounds that way...