feeding during winter

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Farmgirl8388, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Farmgirl8388

Farmgirl8388 Active Member

Hey Yall , lynn here
    It has been a long time since i wrote. But ihave a question, How much do you all feed during the winter, i have just recnetly purchased two kids and am wondering how much i should feed them during these colds months and any precautions i should take.
    Thanks a bunch lynn

2. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Hello Lynn,
    I provide my goats all the hay they want, salt and minerals free choice, and lots of warm water. I find my goats drink more in the winter, so they welcome warm water three or four times a day. In Michigan we have some pretty cold temps for weeks at a time, so I make sure they have plenty of extra bedding and access to shelter from the wind and moisture. My girls get grain at bedtime, and I will usually give them an extra ration mid day.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My wethers get grass hay, about 3 flakes per day. They also get 1 flake of alfalfa hay, or 2 cups of alfalfa pellets per day. All I have right now are 2 wethers and they stay well fed and shiny on this. Minerals are free choice.

I really don't have to worry about the water freezing here, it doesn't get that cold. The problem I do have this time of year is foot rot if I don't check and trim suspect spots weekly. The barn floor is concrete and stays dry, their bedding stays dry. The ground just stays soggy here in western Wa for months on end.